What Happened In History Year 1564
Historical Events for the Year 1564
- 26th January » The Council of Trent issues its conclusions in the Tridentinum, establishing a distinction between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.
- 26th January » The Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeats the Tsardom of Russia in the Battle of Ula during the Livonian War.
- 15th March » Mughal Akbar the Great known as Emperor Akbar abolishes "jizya" ('per capita' tax).
- 26th April » Playwright William Shakespeare was baptized in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England (date of actual birth is unknown).
Famous Birthdays in 1564
- 15th February » Galileo Galilei, Italian astronomer and physicist (d. 1642)
- 26th February » Christopher Marlowe, English playwright (d. 1593)
- 9th March » David Fabricius, German astronomer and theologian (d. 1617)
- 26th April » William Shakespeare, English poet, playwright and actor (d. 1616)
- 24th September » William Adams (sailor) or William Adams, English sailor and navigator (d. 1620)
- 26th October » Hans Leo Hassler German organist and composer (d. 1612)
- 22nd November » Henry Brooke, 11th Baron Cobham, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Kent (d. 1610)
Famous Deaths in History for 1564
- 4th January » Hosokawa Ujitsuna, Japanese military commander (b. 1514)
- 18th February » Michelangelo, Italian sculptor and painter (b. 1475)
- 2nd May » Rodolfo Pio da Carpi, Italian cardinal (b. 1500)
- 27th May » John Calvin, French pastor and theologian (b. 1509)
- 24th June » Rani Durgavati, Indian queen (b. 1524)
- 5th October » Pierre de Manchicourt, Flemish composer (b. 1510)
- 15th October » Andreas Vesalius, Belgian-Greek anatomist, physician, and author (b. 1514)
- 18th October » Johannes Acronius Frisius, German physician and mathematician (b. 1520)
Historical events for the year 1564 by month