What Happened In History Year 1689
Historical Events for the Year 1689
- 22nd January » The Convention Parliament (1689) Convention Parliament convenes to determine whether James II of England James II and VII, the last Roman Catholic Church Roman Catholic monarch of England, Ireland and Scotland, had vacated the thrones when he fled to Fra
- 12th February » The Convention Parliament (1689) Convention Parliament declares that the flight to France in 1688 by James II of England James II, the last Catholic Church Roman Catholic Monarchy of the United Kingdom British monarch, constitutes an abdication.
- 13th February » William III of England called William and Mary II of England called Mary are proclaimed co-rulers of England.
- 12th March » The Williamite War in Ireland begins.
- 16th March » The 23rd Regiment of Foot or Royal Welch Fusiliers is founded.
- 11th April » William III of England William III and Mary II of England Mary II are crowned as joint sovereigns of Great Britain Britain.
- 18th April » Bostonians rise up 1689 Boston revolt named in rebellion against Sir Edmund Andros.
- 20th April » The former king, James II of England, now deposed, lays siege to Derry.
- 24th May » The Parliament of England English Parliament passes the Act of Toleration 1689 Act of Toleration protecting Protestantism Protestants. Roman Catholics are intentionally excluded.
- 27th July » Glorious Revolution: The Battle of Killiecrankie ends.
- 5th August » One thousand five hundred Iroquois attack the village of Lachine, Quebec or Lachine in New France.
- 21st August » The Battle of Dunkeld in Scotland.
- 27th August » The Treaty of Nerchinsk is signed by Tsardom of Russia or Russia and the Qing Empire (Julian calendar).
- 26th October » General Enea Silvio Piccolomini named General Piccolomini of Austria Fire of Skopje 1689 e.g burns down Skopje to prevent the spread of cholera. He died of cholera himself soon after.
Famous Birthdays in 1689
- 3rd February » Blas de Lezo, Spanish admiral (d. 1741)
- 27th February » Pietro Gnocchi, Italian composer, director, historian, and geographer (d. 1775)
- 15th May » Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, English author (d. 1762)
- 24th May » Daniel Finch, 8th Earl of Winchilsea, English politician, Lord President of the Council (d. 1769)
- 26th June » Edward Holyoke, American clergyman and academic (d. 1769)
- 9th July » Alexis Piron, French playwright (d. 1773)
- 19th August » Samuel Richardson, English author (d. 1761)
- 1st September » Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, Bohemian architect, designed Ss. Cyril and Methodius Cathedral (d. 1751)
- 30th September » Jacques Aubert, French violinist and composer (d. 1753)
- 22nd October » John V of Portugal (d. 1750)
- 3rd November » Jan Josef Ignác Brentner, Czech composer (d. 1742)
- 23rd December » Joseph Bodin de Boismortier, French composer (d. 1755)
Famous Deaths in History for 1689
- 6th January » Seth Ward (bishop) called Seth Ward, English bishop, mathematician, and astronomer (b. 1617)
- 27th January » Robert Aske (merchant) or Robert Aske, English merchant (b. 1619)
- 18th March » John Dixwell, English judge (b. 1607)
- 16th April » Aphra Behn, English author and playwright (b. 1640)
- 18th April » George Jeffreys, 1st Baron Jeffreys, Welsh judge and politician, Lord Chancellor or Lord Chancellor of Great Britain (b. 1648)
- 19th April » Christina, Queen of Sweden (b. 1626)
- 8th July » Edward Wooster, English-American settler (b. 1622)
- 12th August » Pope Innocent XI (b. 1611)
- 26th November » Marquard Gude, German archaeologist and scholar (b. 1635)
- 29th December » Thomas Sydenham, English physician (b. 1624)
Historical events for the year 1689 by month