What Happened In History Year 1837
Historical Events for the Year 1837
- 26th January » Michigan is admitted as the 26th U.S. state.
- 8th February » Richard Mentor Johnson named Richard Johnson becomes the first Vice President of the United States chosen by the United States Senate.
- 4th March » The city of Chicago is incorporated.
- 24th March » Canada gives Black Canadians e.g African Canadian men the right to vote.
- 3rd May » The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens e.g University of Athens is founded in Athens, Greece.
- 10th May » Panic of 1837: New York City banks fail, and unemployment reaches record levels.
- 25th May » The Rebellions of 1837 Rebels of Lower Canada (Quebec) rebel against the United Kingdom British for Political freedom freedom.
- 5th June » Houston is incorporated by the Republic of Texas.
- 11th June » The Broad Street Riot occurs in Boston, fueled by ethnic tensions between Yankees and Irish.
- 20th June » Victoria of the United Kingdom e.g Queen Victoria succeeds to the Monarchy of the United Kingdom or British throne.
- 1st July » A system of civil registration of births, marriages and deaths is established in England and Wales.
- 25th July » The first commercial use of an electrical telegraph is successfully demonstrated by William Fothergill Cooke or William Cooke and Charles Wheatstone on July 25, 1837 between Euston and Camden Town in London.
- 18th September » Tiffany and Co. (first named Tiffany & Young) is founded by Charles Lewis Tiffany and Teddy Young in New York City. The store is called a "stationery and fancy goods emporium".
- 7th November » In Alton, Illinois, Abolitionism in the United States named abolitionist printer Elijah P. Lovejoy is shot dead by a Crowd named mob while attempting to protect his printing shop from being destroyed a third time.
- 8th November » Mary Lyon founds Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, which later becomes Mount Holyoke College.
- 22nd November » Canadian journalist and politician William Lyon Mackenzie calls for a Upper Canada Rebellion known as rebellion against the United Kingdom in his essay "To the People of Upper Canada", published in his newspaper 'The Constitution'.
- 17th December » A fire in the Winter Palace of Saint Petersburg kills 30 guards.
- 25th December » Second Seminole War: American general Zachary Taylor leads 1100 troops against the Seminoles at the Battle of Lake Okeechobee.
Historical events for the year 1837 by month