What Happened In May 1869 In History
Historical Events for May, 1869
- 1st » The Folies Bergère opens in Paris.
- 4th » The Naval Battle of Hakodate Bay is fought in Japan.
- 10th » The First Transcontinental Railroad, linking the eastern and western United States, is completed at Promontory Summit, Utah (not Promontory Point, Utah) with the golden spike.
- 17th » Imperial Empire of Japan known as Japanese forces defeat the remnants of the Tokugawa shogunate in the Battle of Hakodate to end the Boshin War.
- 26th » Boston University is chartered by the Massachusetts known as Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Famous Birthdays on May in 1869
- 5th » Fabián de la Rosa, Filipino painter (d. 1937)
- 5th » Hans Pfitzner, German composer and conductor (d. 1949)
- 11th » Archibald Warden, English tennis player (d. 1943)
- 12th » Carl Schuhmann, German gymnast (d. 1946)
- 14th » Arthur Rostron, English captain (d. 1940)
- 15th » Paul Probst, Swiss target shooter (d. 1945)
Year 1869 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1869 by month