What Happened In August 1870 In History
Historical Events for August, 1870
- 6th » Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Spicheren is fought, resulting in a Kingdom of Prussia named Prussian victory.
- 6th » Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Wörth (1870) known as Battle of Wörth results in a decisive Kingdom of Prussia or Prussian victory.
- 8th » The 'Republic of Ploiești', a failed Liberalism and radicalism in Romania e.g Radical-Liberal rising against Domnitor Carol I of Romania or Carol of Romania.
- 16th » Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Mars-la-Tour is fought, resulting in a Kingdom of Prussia known as Prussian victory.
- 18th » Franco-Prussian War: Battle of Gravelotte is fought.
- 24th » The Wolseley Expedition reaches Manitoba to end the Red River Rebellion.
Famous Birthdays on August in 1870
- 4th » Harry Lauder, Scottish actor and singer (d. 1950)
- 11th » Tom Richardson, English cricketer (d. 1912)
- 18th » Hugh Bromley-Davenport, England cricketer (d. 1954)
- 18th » Lavr Kornilov, Russian general (d. 1918)
- 19th » Bernard Baruch, American businessman and philanthropist (d. 1965)
- 27th » Amado Nervo, Mexican journalist, poet, and diplomat (d. 1919)
- 31st » Maria Montessori, Italian physician and educator (d. 1952)
Famous Deaths for August 1870
- 14th » David Farragut, American admiral (b. 1801)
- 17th » Perucho Figueredo, Cuban poet and activist (b. 1818)
Year 1870 events in history for the month of August
Historical events for the year 1870 by month