What Happened In October 1870 In History
Historical Events for October, 1870
- 7th » Franco-Prussian War Siege of Paris (1870-1871) named Siege of Paris: Leon Gambetta flees Paris in a hot-air balloon.
- 23rd » Franco-Prussian War: the Siege of Metz concludes with a decisive Kingdom of Prussia known as Prussian victory.
- 27th » Marshal François Achille Bazaine surrenders to Kingdom of Prussia Prussian forces at the conclusion of the Siege of Metz (1870) Siege of Metz along with 140,000 France French soldiers in one of the biggest French defeats of the Franco-Prussian War.
Famous Birthdays on October in 1870
- 7th » Prince Friedrich of Hesse and by Rhine (d. 1873)
- 7th » Uncle Dave Macon, American singer-songwriter, banjo player, and comedian (d. 1952)
- 8th » Louis Vierne, French organist and composer (d. 1937)
- 10th » Louise Mack, Australian journalist, author, and poet (d. 1935)
- 13th » Albert Jay Nock, American theorist, author, and critic (d. 1945)
- 18th » D. T. Suzuki, Japanese author and scholar (d. 1966)
- 22nd » Ivan Bunin, Russian author and poet, Nobel Prize in Literature e.g Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1953)
- 22nd » Alfred Douglas, English author and poet (d. 1945)
- 23rd » Francis Kelley, Canadian-American bishop (d. 1948)
Famous Deaths for October 1870
- 12th » Robert E. Lee, American general (b. 1807)
- 20th » Michael William Balfe, Irish violinist, singer, and composer (b. 1808)
Year 1870 events in history for the month of October
Historical events for the year 1870 by month