What Happened In September 1870 In History
Historical Events for September, 1870
- 1st » Franco-Prussian War: the Battle of Sedan is fought, resulting in a decisive Kingdom of Prussia known as Prussian victory.
- 2nd » Franco-Prussian War: Battle of Sedan Prussian forces take Napoleon III of France and 100,000 of his soldiers prisoner.
- 3rd » Franco-Prussian War: The Siege of Metz begins, resulting in a decisive Kingdom of Prussia named Prussian victory on October 23.
- 4th » Emperor Napoleon III of France is deposed and the French Third Republic known as Third Republic is declared.
- 6th » Louisa Ann Swain of Laramie, Wyoming becomes the first woman in the United States to cast a vote legally after 1807.
- 18th » Old Faithful Geyser is observed and named by Henry D. Washburn during the Washburn–Langford–Doane Expedition to Yellowstone.
- 19th » Franco-Prussian War: The Siege of Paris (1870–71) e.g Siege of Paris begins, which will result on January 28, 1871 in the surrender of Paris and a decisive Kingdom of Prussia called Prussian victory.
- 19th » Having invaded the Papal States a week earlier, the Italian Army lays siege to Rome, entering the city the next day, after which the Pope described himself as a Prisoner in the Vatican.
- 20th » 'Bersaglieri' corps capture of Rome known as enter Rome through the 'Porta Pia' and complete the Italian unification known as unification of Italy.
Famous Birthdays on September in 1870
- 7th » Aleksandr Kuprin, Russian pilot, explorer, and author (d. 1938)
- 15th » Rose and Ottilie Sutro known as Rose Sutro, American pianist (d. 1957)
- 16th » John Pius Boland, Irish-English tennis player and politician (d. 1958)
- 18th » Clark Wissler, American anthropologist, author, and educator (d. 1947)
- 22nd » Charlotte Cooper (tennis) named Charlotte Cooper, English-Scottish tennis player (d. 1966)
- 22nd » Arthur Pryor American trombone player, composer, and bandleader (d. 1942)
- 24th » Georges Claude, French chemist and engineer, invented Neon lighting (d. 1960)
- 26th » Christian X of Denmark (d. 1947)
- 30th » Thomas W. Lamont, American banker and philanthropist (d. 1948)
- 30th » Jean Baptiste Perrin, French-American physicist and chemist, Nobel Prize in Physics known as Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1942)
Famous Deaths for September 1870
- 23rd » Prosper Mérimée, French archaeologist and historian (b. 1803)
Year 1870 events in history for the month of September
Historical events for the year 1870 by month