What Happened In June 1885 In History
Historical Events for June, 1885
- 3rd » In the last military engagement fought on Canadian soil, the Cree leader, Big Bear, escapes the North-West Mounted Police.
- 9th » Treaty of Tientsin (1885) Treaty of Tientsin is signed to end the Sino-French War, with Qing dynasty China eventually giving up Tonkin and Annam (Chinese province) Annam – most of present-day Vietnam – to France.
- 17th » The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York City or New York Harbor.
Famous Birthdays on June in 1885
- 4th » Arturo Rawson, Argentinian general and politician, 26th President of Argentina (d. 1952)
- 8th » Karl Genzken, German physician (d. 1957)
- 9th » Felicjan Sławoj Składkowski, Polish general and politician, 27th Prime Minister of Poland (d. 1962)
- 13th » Henry George Lamond, Australian farmer and author (d. 1969)
- 16th » Erich Jacoby, Estonian-Polish architect (d. 1941)
- 20th » Andrzej Gawroński, Polish linguist and academic (d. 1927)
- 22nd » Milan Vidmar, Slovenian engineer and chess player (d. 1962)
- 26th » Antonie Nedošinská, Czech actress (d. 1950)
- 27th » Guilhermina Suggia, Portuguese cellist (d. 1950)
Famous Deaths for June 1885
- 8th » Ignace Bourget, Canadian bishop (b. 1799)
- 11th » Matías Ramos Mejía, Argentinian colonel (b. 1810)
- 16th » Wilhelm Camphausen, German painter (b. 1818)
Year 1885 events in history for the month of June
Historical events for the year 1885 by month