What Happened In History Year 1892
Historical Events for the Year 1892
- 1st January » Ellis Island opens to begin processing immigrants into the United States.
- 15th January » James Naismith publishes the rules of basketball.
- 29th February » St. Petersburg, Florida is incorporated.
- 15th March » Liverpool F.C. is founded.
- 18th March » Former Governor General Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby known as Lord Stanley pledges to donate a silver challenge cup, later named after him, as an award for the best ice hockey or hockey team in Canada the Stanley Cup.
- 15th April » The General Electric General Electric Company is formed. Image:Titanic-New York Herald front page.jpeg right thumb RMS Titanic disaster.
- 19th April » Charles Duryea claims to have driven the first automobile in the United States, in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- 28th May » In San Francisco, California, John Muir organizes the Sierra Club.
- 7th June » Benjamin Harrison becomes the first President of the United States to attend a baseball game.
- 7th June » Homer Plessy is arrested for refusing to leave his seat in the "whites-only" car of a train; he lost the resulting court case, 'Plessy v. Ferguson'.
- 30th June » The Homestead Strike begins near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 4th July » Western Samoa changes the International Date Line, so that year it had 367 days, with two occurrences of Monday, July 4.
- 6th July » Dadabhai Naoroji is elected as the first Indian British House of Commons or Member of Parliament in Britain.
- 6th July » Three thousand eight hundred strike action e.g striking steelworkers engage in a day-long battle with Pinkerton National Detective Agency or Pinkerton agents during the Homestead Strike, leaving ten dead and dozens wounded.
- 7th July » Katipunan: the Revolutionary Philippine Brotherhood is established, contributing to the fall of the Spanish Empire in Asia.
- 4th August » The father and stepmother of Lizzie Borden are found murdered in their Fall River, Massachusetts home.
- 9th August » Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way Telegraphy named telegraph.
- 8th September » The Pledge of Allegiance is first recited.
- 28th September » The first night game for American football takes place 1892 Wyoming Seminary vs. Mansfield State Normal football game known as in a contest between Wyoming Seminary and Mansfield University of Pennsylvania e.g Mansfield State Normal.
- 13th October » Edward Emerson Barnard discovers 206P/Barnard-Boattini known as D/1892 T1, the first comet discovered by photographic means, on the night of October 13–14.
- 8th November » The 1892 New Orleans general strike New Orleans general strike begins, uniting African American black and White people white American trade unionists in a successful four-day general strike action for the first time.
- 12th November » William Heffelfinger known as William "Pudge" Heffelfinger becomes the first professional American football player on record, participating in his first paid game for the Allegheny Athletic Association.
- 17th December » First issue of 'Vogue (magazine) or Vogue' is published
- 18th December » Premiere performance of 'The Nutcracker' by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
Historical events for the year 1892 by month