What Happened In History Year 1502
Historical Events for the Year 1502
- 1st January » The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is first explored by the Portugal e.g Portuguese.
- 12th February » Vasco da Gama sets sail from Lisbon, Portugal, on his 4th Portuguese India Armada (Gama, 1502) known as second voyage to India.
- 21st May » The island of Saint Helena is discovered by the Portuguese explorer João da Nova.
- 15th June » Christopher Columbus lands on the island of Martinique on his fourth voyage.
- 30th July » Christopher Columbus lands at Guanaja in the Bay Islands Department called Bay Islands off the coast of Honduras during his fourth voyage.
- 18th September » Christopher Columbus lands at Honduras on his fourth, and final, voyage.
Famous Birthdays in 1502
- 7th January » Pope Gregory XIII (d. 1585)
- 2nd February » Damião de Góis, Portuguese philosopher (d. 1574)
- 20th March » Pierino Belli, Italian soldier and jurist (d. 1575)
- 25th April » Georg Major, German theologian and academic (d. 1574)
- 7th June » John III of Portugal (d. 1557)
- 13th September » John Leland (antiquary) known as John Leland, English poet and historian (d. 1552)
Famous Deaths in History for 1502
- 2nd April » Arthur, Prince of Wales (b. 1486)
- 6th May » James Tyrrell, English knight (b. 1450)
Historical events for the year 1502 by month