What Happened In History Year 1520
Historical Events for the Year 1520
- 19th January » Sten Sture the Younger, the List of Swedish monarchs called Regent of Sweden, is mortally wounded at the Battle of Bogesund.
- 16th April » The Revolt of the Comuneros begins in Spain against the rule of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor called Charles V.
- 20th May » The The massacre in the Main Temple called massacre at the festival of Tóxcatl takes place during the Fall of Tenochtitlan, resulting in turning the Aztecs against the Spanish.
- 15th June » Pope Leo X threatens to Excommunication e.g excommunicate Martin Luther in papal bull 'Exsurge Domine'.
- 30th June » Spanish conquistadors led by Hernán Cortés La Noche Triste known as fight their way out of Tenochtitlan.
- 7th July » Spanish 'conquistadores' defeat a larger Aztec Triple Alliance named Aztec army at the Battle of Otumba.
- 21st October » Ferdinand Magellan discovers a strait now known as Strait of Magellan.
- 21st October » João Álvares Fagundes discovers the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, bestowing them their original name of "Islands of the 11,000 Virgins".
- 1st November » The Strait of Magellan, the passage immediately south of mainland South America connecting the Pacific Ocean e.g Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans, is first discovered and navigated by European explorer Ferdinand Magellan during the first recorded circumnav
- 8th November » Stockholm Bloodbath begins: A successful invasion of Sweden by Danish forces results in the execution of around 100 people.
- 9th November » More than 50 people are sentenced and executed in the Stockholm Bloodbath
- 10th November » Danish Christian II of Denmark or King Christian II executes dozens of people in the Stockholm Bloodbath after a successful invasion of Sweden.
- 28th November » After navigating through Strait of Magellan e.g a strait at the southern end of South America, three ships under the command of Portugal e.g Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan reach the Pacific Ocean, becoming the first European ships to sail from the
Famous Birthdays in 1520
- 3rd March » Matthias Flacius, Croatian reformer (d. 1575)
- 10th August » Madeleine of Valois (d. 1537)
- 5th October » Alessandro Farnese (cardinal) named Alessandro Farnese, Italian cardinal (d. 1589)
Famous Deaths in History for 1520
- 5th February » Sten Sture the Younger, Swedish politician (b. 1493)
- 6th April » Raphael, Italian painter and architect (b. 1483)
- 24th June » Hosokawa Sumimoto, Japanese commander (b. 1489)
- 29th June » Moctezuma II, Aztec ruler (b. 1466)
- 22nd September » Selim I, Ottoman sultan (b. 1465)
Historical events for the year 1520 by month