What Happened In History Year 1543
Historical Events for the Year 1543
- 21st February » Battle of Wayna Daga A combined army of Ethiopian and Portugal named Portuguese troops defeats a Muslim army led by Ahmed Gragn.
- 7th July » French troops invade Luxembourg.
- 12th July » King Henry VIII of England marries his sixth and last wife, Catherine Parr, at Hampton Court Palace.
- 9th September » Mary, Queen of Scots known as Mary Stuart, at nine months old, is coronation named crowned "Queen of Scots" in the central Scottish town of Stirling.
Famous Birthdays in 1543
- 31st January » Tokugawa Ieyasu, Japanese shogun (d. 1616)
- 16th February » Kano Eitoku, Japanese painter (d. 1590)
- 18th February » Charles III, Duke of Lorraine (d. 1608)
- 1st April » François de Bonne, Duke of Lesdiguières (d. 1626)
- 14th September » Claudio Acquaviva, Italian priest, 5th Superior General of the Society of Jesus (d. 1615)
Famous Deaths in History for 1543
- 3rd January » Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo, Portuguese explorer (b. 1499)
- 9th January » Guillaume du Bellay, French general and diplomat (b. 1491)
- 21st February » Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi, Somalian general (b. 1507)
- 24th May » Nicolaus Copernicus, Polish mathematician and astronomer (b. 1473)
- 19th July » Mary Boleyn, English daughter of Elizabeth Boleyn, Countess of Wiltshire (b. 1499)
- 29th August » Maria of Jülich-Berg (b. 1491)
- 27th December » George, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach (b. 1484)
Historical events for the year 1543 by month