What Happened In History Year 1562
Historical Events for the Year 1562
- 17th January » France recognizes the Huguenots by the Edict of Saint-Germain.
- 1st March » Twenty-three Huguenots are massacred by Catholicism called Catholics in Wassy, France, marking the start of the French Wars of Religion.
- 12th July » Fray Diego de Landa, acting Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Yucatán known as Bishop of Yucatán, burns the sacred books of the Maya civilization e.g Maya.
- 19th December » The Battle of Dreux takes place during the French Wars of Religion.
Famous Birthdays in 1562
- 12th January » Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy (d. 1630)
- 13th January » Mark Alexander Boyd, Scottish poet (d. 1601)
- 25th July » Katō Kiyomasa, Japanese warlord (d. 1611)
- 4th October » Christen Sørensen Longomontanus, Danish astronomer (d. 1647)
- 19th October » George Abbot (bishop) called George Abbot, English archbishop (d. 1633)
- 25th November » Lope de Vega, Spanish playwright and poet (d. 1635)
Famous Deaths in History for 1562
- 9th January » Amago Haruhisa, Japanese warlord (b. 1514)
- 23rd July » Götz von Berlichingen, German knight (b. 1480)
- 9th October » Gabriele Falloppio, Italian anatomist and physician (b. 1523)
- 17th November » Antoine of Navarre (b. 1518)
- 6th December » Jan van Scorel Dutch painter (b. 1495)
- 7th December » Adrian Willaert, Dutch-Italian composer and educator (b. 1490)
Historical events for the year 1562 by month