What Happened In History Year 1565
Historical Events for the Year 1565
- 26th January » Battle of Talikota, fought between the Vijayanagara Empire and the Islamic sultanates of the Deccan, leads to the subjugation, and eventual destruction of the last Hindu kingdom in India, and the consolidation of Islamic rule over much of the Indian subco
- 1st March » The city of Rio de Janeiro is founded.
- 27th April » Cebu City known as Cebu is established becoming the first Spain e.g Spanish settlement in the Philippines.
- 18th May » The Great Siege of Malta begins, in which Ottoman Empire named Ottoman forces attempt and fail to conquer Malta.
- 18th May » The Royal Audiencia of Concepción is created by a decree of Philip II of Spain.
- 17th June » Matsunaga Hisahide assassinates the 13th Ashikaga shogunate named Ashikaga shogun, Ashikaga Yoshiteru.
- 23rd June » Turgut Reis (Dragut), commander of the Ottoman Empire known as Ottoman navy, dies during the Siege of Malta (1565) named Siege of Malta.
- 29th July » The widowed Mary, Queen of Scots, marries Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, Duke of Albany, at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 28th August » Pedro Menéndez de Avilés sights land near St. Augustine, Florida and founds the oldest continuously occupied European-established city in the continental United States.
- 8th September » The Knights Hospitaller Knights of Malta lift the Turkey Turkish Siege of Malta (1565) siege of Malta that began on May 18.
- 11th September » Ottoman Empire or Ottoman forces retreat from Malta ending the Great Siege of Malta.
Famous Birthdays in 1565
- 2nd April » Cornelis de Houtman, Dutch explorer (d. 1599)
- 10th November » Laurentius Paulinus Gothus, Swedish astronomer and theologian (d. 1646)
Famous Deaths in History for 1565
- 17th March » Alexander Ales, Scottish theologian (b. 1500)
- 12th June » Adrianus Turnebus, French philologist and scholar (b. 1512)
- 17th June » Ashikaga Yoshiteru, Japanese shogun (b. 1536)
- 5th October » Lodovico Ferrari, Italian mathematician (b. 1522)
- 12th October » Jean Ribault, French-American lieutenant and navigator (b. 1520)
- 14th October » Thomas Chaloner (statesman) e.g Thomas Chaloner, English poet and politician (b. 1521)
- 22nd October » Jean Grolier de Servières, French book collector (b. 1479)
- 9th December » Pope Pius IV (b. 1499)
- 13th December » Conrad Gessner, Swiss botanist and physician (b. 1516)
- 29th December » Queen Munjeong of Korea (b. 1501)
Historical events for the year 1565 by month