What Happened In History Year 1568
Historical Events for the Year 1568
- 23rd March » The Peace of Longjumeau is signed, ending the second phase of the French Wars of Religion.
- 2nd May » Mary, Queen of Scots, escapes from Loch Leven Castle.
- 13th May » Battle of Langside: the forces of Mary, Queen of Scots, are defeated by a confederacy of Scottish Protestants under James Stewart, Earl of Moray, her Sibling half known as half-brother.
- 16th May » Mary, Queen of Scots, flees to England.
- 19th May » Queen Elizabeth I of England orders the arrest of Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 23rd May » The Netherlands declare their independence from Spain.
- 23rd September » Spanish Empire Spanish naval forces rout an Kingdom of England English fleet, under the command of John Hawkins (naval commander) John Hawkins, at the Battle of San Juan de Ulúa (1568) Battle of San Juan de Ulúa near Veracruz.
Famous Birthdays in 1568
- 9th March » Aloysius Gonzaga, Italian saint (d. 1591)
- 3rd September » Adriano Banchieri, Italian organist and composer (d. 1634)
- 5th September » Tommaso Campanella, Italian poet, philosopher, and theologian (d. 1639)
Famous Deaths in History for 1568
- 15th January » Nicolaus Olahus, Romanian archbishop (b. 1493)
- 20th January » Myles Coverdale, English bishop (b. 1488)
- 20th March » Albert, Duke in Prussia (b. 1490)
- 5th June » Lamoral, Count of Egmont (b. 1522)
- 24th July » Carlos, Prince of Asturias (b. 1545)
- 3rd October » Elisabeth of Valois (b. 1545)
- 14th October » Jacques Arcadelt, Dutch composer (b. 1507)
- 28th October » Ashikaga Yoshihide, Japanese shogun (b. 1539)
- 23rd December » Roger Ascham, English educator and scholar (b. 1515)
- 31st December » Shimazu Tadayoshi, Japanese daimyo (b. 1493)
Historical events for the year 1568 by month