What Happened In History Year 1621
Historical Events for the Year 1621
- 9th February » Pope Gregory XV or Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope Papal election e.g elected by acclamation.
- 17th February » Myles Standish is appointed as first commander of Plymouth, Massachusetts e.g Plymouth colony.
- 16th March » Samoset, a Mohegan, visited the settlers of Plymouth Colony and greets them, "Welcome, Englishmen! My name is Samoset."
- 22nd March » The Pilgrim (Plymouth Colony) known as Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony sign a peace treaty with Massasoit of the Wampanoag (tribe) named Wampanoags.
- 5th April » The 'Mayflower' sets sail from Plymouth, Massachusetts on a return trip to England.
- 24th May » The Protestant Union is formally dissolved.
- 3rd June » The Dutch West India Company receives a charter for New Netherland.
- 21st June » Execution of 27 Czech people or Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
Famous Birthdays in 1621
- 27th January » Thomas Willis, English physician (d. 1675)
- 2nd February » Johannes Schefferus, Swedish author (d. 1679)
- 21st February » Rebecca Nurse, English-American victim of the Salem witch trials (d. 1692)
- 28th March » Heinrich Schwemmer German composer and educator (d. 1696)
- 31st March » Andrew Marvell, English poet and politician (d. 1678)
- 23rd April » William Penn (Royal Navy officer) named William Penn, English admiral and politician (d. 1670)
- 25th April » Roger Boyle, 1st Earl of Orrery, English soldier and politician (d. 1679)
- 8th July » Jean de La Fontaine, French author and poet (d. 1695)
- 22nd July » Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury, English politician, Lord Chancellor named Lord Chancellor of the United Kingdon (d. 1683)
- 19th August » Gerbrand van den Eeckhout, Dutch painter (d. 1674)
- 8th September » Louis, Grand Condé, French general (d. 1686)
- 23rd December » Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Nottingham, English politician, Lord Chancellor of England (d. 1682)
- 23rd December » Edmund Berry Godfrey, English judge (d. 1678)
Famous Deaths in History for 1621
- 28th January » Pope Paul V (b. 1550)
- 15th February » Michael Praetorius, German organist and composer (b. 1571)
- 31st March » Philip III of Spain (b. 1578)
- 1st April » Cristofano Allori, Italian painter (b. 1577)
- 8th June » Anne de Xainctonge, French saint, founded the Society of the Sisters of Saint Ursula of the Blessed Virgin (b. 1567)
- 21st June » Louis III, Cardinal of Guise (b. 1575)
- 21st June » Kryštof Harant, Czech soldier and composer (b. 1564)
- 2nd July » Thomas Harriot, English astronomer, mathematician, and ethnographer (b. 1560)
- 10th July » Charles Bonaventure de Longueval, Count of Bucquoy, French commander (b. 1571)
- 13th July » Albert VII, Archduke of Austria (b. 1559)
- 3rd August » Guillaume du Vair, French lawyer and author (b. 1556)
- 15th August » John Barclay (poet) called John Barclay, Scottish poet and author (b. 1582)
- 17th September » Robert Bellarmine, Italian cardinal and saint (b. 1542)
- 24th September » Jan Karol Chodkiewicz, Polish commander (b. 1560)
- 8th October » Antoine de Montchrestien, French soldier, playwright, and economist (b. 1575)
- 26th November » Ralph Agas, English surveyor and cartographer (b. 1540)
- 13th December » Catherine Stenbock, Swedish wife of Gustav I of Sweden (b. 1535)
- 30th December » Job of Manyava, Ukrainian monk and saint (b. 1550)
Historical events for the year 1621 by month