What Happened In History Year 1624
Historical Events for the Year 1624
- 24th January » Afonso Mendes, appointed by Pope Gregory XV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 28th January » Thomas Warner (explorer) named Sir Thomas Warner founds the first British colony in the Caribbean, on the island of Saint Kitts.
- 10th June » Signing of the Treaty of Compiègne (1624) e.g Treaty of Compiègne between France and the Netherlands.
- 13th August » The French king Louis XIII appoints Cardinal Richelieu as prime minister
Famous Birthdays in 1624
- 31st January » Arnold Geulincx, Flemish philosopher (d. 1669)
- 15th June » Hiob Ludolf, German orientalist (d. 1704)
- 22nd August » Jean Regnault de Segrais, French author and poet (d. 1701)
- 25th August » François de la Chaise, French priest (d. 1709)
- 10th September » Thomas Sydenham, English physician (d. 1689)
- 30th October » Paul Pellisson, French author (d. 1693)
Famous Deaths in History for 1624
- 13th February » Stephen Gosson, English author (b. 1554)
- 17th February » Juan de Mariana, Spanish priest and historian (b. 1536)
- 13th September » Ketevan the Martyr, Kakheti wife of David I of Kakheti (b. 1565)
- 10th November » Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire (b. 1573)
- 5th December » Gaspard Bauhin, Swiss botanist and physician (b. 1560)
- 14th December » Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham, English politician, List of Lords High Admiral Lords High Admiral of England, 1413 to 1628 called Lord High Admiral (b. 1536)
Historical events for the year 1624 by month