What Happened In History Year 1628
Historical Events for the Year 1628
- 1st March » Writs issued in February by Charles I of England mandate that every county in England (not just seaport towns) pay ship tax by this date.
- 4th March » The Massachusetts Bay Colony is granted a Royal charter.
- 7th June » The Petition of Right, a Fundamental Laws of England known as major English constitutional document, is granted the Royal Assent by Charles I of England called Charles I and becomes law.
- 10th August » The Sweden Swedish warship ship Vasa ship 6 sinks in the Stockholm harbour after only about 20 minutes of her maiden voyage.
- 23rd August » George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham called George Villiers, the first Duke of Buckingham, is assassinated by John Felton (assassin) named John Felton.
- 6th September » Puritans settle Salem, Massachusetts known as Salem, which will later become part of Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 28th October » French Wars of Religion: The Siege of La Rochelle, which had lasted for 14 months, ends with the surrender of the Huguenots.
Famous Birthdays in 1628
- 1st January » Christoph Bernhard, German composer (d. 1692)
- 8th January » François-Henri de Montmorency, duc de Luxembourg, French general (d. 1695)
- 10th January » George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, English politician (d. 1687)
- 12th January » Charles Perrault, French author (d. 1703)
- 10th March » Marcello Malpighi, Italian physician and biologist (d. 1694)
- 17th March » François Girardon, French sculptor (d. 1715)
- 24th March » Sophie Amalie of Brunswick-Lüneburg (d. 1685)
- 23rd April » Johannes Hudde, Dutch mathematician and politician (d. 1704)
- 8th May » Angelo Italia, Italian architect (d. 1700)
- 17th May » Ferdinand Charles, Archduke of Austria (d. 1662)
- 11th July » Tokugawa Mitsukuni, Japanese daimyo (d. 1701)
- 29th August » John Granville, 1st Earl of Bath, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (d. 1701)
- 28th November » John Bunyan, English preacher and author (d. 1688)
- 25th December » Noël Coypel, French painter (d. 1707)
Famous Deaths in History for 1628
- 12th March » John Bull (composer) e.g John Bull, English organist and composer (b. 1562)
- 29th March » Tobias Matthew, English archbishop (b. 1546)
- 8th June » Rudolph Goclenius, German lexicographer and philosopher (b. 1547)
- 13th July » Robert Shirley, English soldier and diplomat (b. 1581)
- 6th August » Johannes Junius, German politician (b. 1573)
- 23rd August » George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire (b. 1592)
- 30th September » Fulke Greville, 1st Baron Brooke, English poet and politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer (b. 1554)
- 15th November » Roque González de Santa Cruz, Paraguayan missionary and martyr (b. 1576)
- 16th November » Paolo Quagliati, Italian composer (b. 1555)
Historical events for the year 1628 by month