What Happened In History Year 1644
Historical Events for the Year 1644
- 18th March » The Anglo-Powhatan Wars called Third Anglo-Powhatan War begins in the Colony of Virginia.
- 25th April » The Chongzhen Emperor, the last Emperor of Ming Dynasty China, commits suicide during a peasant rebellion led by Li Zicheng.
- 25th May » Ming Dynasty named Ming general Wu Sangui forms an alliance with the invading Manchus and opens the gates of the Great Wall of China at Shanhai Pass e.g Shanhaiguan pass, letting the Manchus through towards the capital Beijing.
- 26th May » Portuguese Restoration War: Portuguese and Spanish forces both claim victory in the Battle of Montijo.
- 27th May » Manchu regent Dorgon defeats rebel leader Li Zicheng of the Shun dynasty at the Battle of Shanhai Pass, allowing the Manchus to enter and conquer the capital city of Beijing.
- 28th May » Bolton Massacre by Cavalier e.g Royalist troops under the command of James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby.
- 6th June » The Qing dynasty Manchu people named Manchu forces led by the Shunzhi Emperor capture Beijing during the collapse of the Ming dynasty.
- 29th June » Charles I of England defeats a Roundhead called Parliamentarian detachment at the Battle of Cropredy Bridge, the last battle won by an England called English King on English soil.
- 2nd July » English Civil War: Battle of Marston Moor.
- 13th October » A Swedish–Dutch fleet defeats the Danish fleet at Battle of Fehmarn (1644) or Fehmarn and captures about 1,000 prisoners.
- 27th October » Second Battle of Newbury in the English Civil War.
- 8th November » The Shunzhi Emperor, the third emperor of the Qing dynasty, is enthroned in Beijing after the collapse of the Ming dynasty as the first Qing emperor to rule over China.
- 23rd November » John Milton publishes 'Areopagitica', a pamphlet decrying censorship.
Famous Birthdays in 1644
- 10th January » Louis François, duc de Boufflers, French general (d. 1711)
- 1st March » Simon Foucher, French philosopher (d. 1696)
- 31st March » Henry Winstanley, English painter and engineer (d. 1703)
- 7th April » François de Neufville, duc de Villeroi, French general (d. 1730)
- 16th June » Henrietta of England (d. 1670)
- 6th August » Louise de La Vallière, French mistress of Louis XIV of France (d. 1710)
- 12th August » Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber, Bohemian-Austrian violinist and composer (d. 1704)
- 25th September » Ole Rømer, Danish astronomer and instrument maker (d. 1710)
- 2nd October » François-Timoléon de Choisy, French historian and author (d. 1724)
- 14th October » William Penn, English businessman, founded the Province of Pennsylvania (d. 1718)
Famous Deaths in History for 1644
- 15th March » Countess Louise Juliana of Nassau (b. 1576)
- 25th April » Chongzhen Emperor of China (b. 1611)
- 29th July » Pope Urban VIII (b. 1568)
- 7th September » Guido Bentivoglio, Italian cardinal (b. 1579)
- 8th September » John Coke, English politician (b. 1563)
- 8th September » Francis Quarles, English poet (b. 1592)
- 6th October » Elisabeth of France (1602–1644) called Elisabeth of France (b. 1602)
- 10th November » Luis Vélez de Guevara, Spanish author and playwright (b. 1579)
- 30th December » Jan Baptist van Helmont, Flemish chemist, physiologist, and physician (b. 1577)
Historical events for the year 1644 by month