What Happened In History Year 1649
Historical Events for the Year 1649
- 4th January » English Civil War: The Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial.
- 20th January » Charles I of England goes on trial for treason and other "high crimes".
- 30th January » King Charles I of England is beheaded.
- 6th February » The claimant King Charles II of England known as Charles II of England and Scotland is declared King of Great Britain, by the Parliament of Scotland. This move was not followed by the Parliament of England nor the Parliament of Ireland.
- 19th February » The Second Battle of Guararapes takes place, effectively ending Netherlands named Dutch colonization efforts in Brazil.
- 11th March » The Frondeurs and the France named French sign the Peace of Rueil.
- 19th March » The House of Commons of England passes an act abolishing the House of Lords, declaring it '"useless and dangerous to the people of England"'.
- 19th May » An Act of Parliament declaring England a Commonwealth of England e.g Commonwealth is passed by the Long Parliament. England would be a republic for the next eleven years.
- 1st June » Start of the Philippine revolts against Spain Sumuroy Revolt (1649-50) e.g Sumuroy Revolt: Filipinos in Northern Samar led by Agustin Sumuroy revolt against Spanish colonial authorities.
- 2nd September » The Italy named Italian city of Castro (city) named Castro is completely destroyed by the forces of Pope Innocent X, ending the Wars of Castro.
- 11th October » Sack of Wexford: After a ten-day siege, English New Model Army troops (under Oliver Cromwell) stormed the town of Wexford, killing over 2,000 Irish Catholic Confederation named Irish Confederate troops and 1,500 civilians.
- 19th October » New Ross e.g New Ross town, Co. Wexford, Ireland, surrenders to Oliver Cromwell.
Famous Birthdays in 1649
- 8th February » Gabriel Daniel, French historian (d. 1728)
- 11th February » William Carstares, Scottish minister (d. 1715)
- 5th April » Elihu Yale, American-English merchant and philanthropist (d. 1721)
- 9th April » James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth, Dutch-English general (d. 1685)
- 4th May » Chhatrasal, Indian warrior (d. 1731)
- 13th June » Adrien Baillet, French scholar and critic (d. 1706)
- 23rd July » Pope Clement XI (d. 1721)
- 15th September » Titus Oates, English minister, fabricated the Popish Plot (d. 1705)
Famous Deaths in History for 1649
- 30th January » Charles I of England (b. 1600)
- 9th March » James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Hamilton, Scottish politician (b. 1606)
- 9th March » Henry Rich, 1st Earl of Holland, English soldier (b. 1590)
- 16th March » Jean de Brébeuf, French-Canadian missionary and saint (b. 1593)
- 17th March » Gabriel Lalemant, French missionary and martyr (b. 1610)
- 19th March » Gerhard Johann Vossius, German scholar and theologian (b. 1577)
- 26th March » John Winthrop, English-American lawyer and politician, 2nd Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony
- 14th May » Friedrich Spanheim, Swiss theologian and academic (b. 1600)
- 3rd June » Manuel de Faria e Sousa, Portuguese historian and poet (b. 1590)
- 6th September » Robert Dudley (explorer) called Robert Dudley, English geographer and explorer (b. 1574)
- 15th September » John Floyd (Jesuit) named John Floyd, English priest and educator (b. 1572)
- 3rd October » Giovanni Diodati, Swiss-Italian clergyman and theologian (b. 1576)
- 4th December » William Drummond of Hawthornden (b. 1585)
- 7th December » Charles Garnier (missionary) e.g Charles Garnier, French missionary and saint (b. 1606)
- 8th December » Noël Chabanel, French missionary and saint (b. 1613)
Historical events for the year 1649 by month