What Happened In History Year 1655
Historical Events for the Year 1655
- 23rd April » The Siege of Santo Domingo (1655) known as Siege of Santo Domingo begins during the Anglo-Spanish War (1654–60) or Anglo-Spanish War, and fails seven days later.
- 10th May » England, with troops under the command of William Penn (admiral) e.g Admiral William Penn and Robert Venables known as General Robert Venables, annexes Jamaica from Spain.
- 19th May » The Invasion of Jamaica begins during the Anglo-Spanish War (1654–60) known as Anglo-Spanish War.
- 31st July » Russo-Polish War (1654–67): the Russian army enters the capital of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Vilnius, which it holds for six years.
- 23rd August » Battle of Sobota: The Swedish Empire led by Charles X Gustav defeats the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 8th September » Warsaw falls without resistance to a small force under the command of Charles X Gustav of Sweden during Deluge (history) e.g The Deluge, making it the first time the city is captured by a foreign army.
- 18th December » The Whitehall Conference ends with the determination that there was no law preventing Jews from re-entering England after the Edict of Expulsion of 1290.
- 27th December » Second Northern War/the Deluge (history) or Deluge: Monks at the Jasna Góra Monastery in Częstochowa are successful in fending off a Siege of Jasna Góra named month-long siege.
Famous Birthdays in 1655
- 1st January » Christian Thomasius, German jurist and philosopher (d. 1728)
- 6th January » Eleonor Magdalene of Neuburg (d. 1720)
- 4th March » Fra Galgario, Italian painter (d. 1743)
- 4th May » Bartolomeo Cristofori, Italian instrument maker, invented the piano (d. 1731)
- 13th May » Pope Innocent XIII (d. 1724)
- 24th November » Charles XI of Sweden (d. 1697)
- 28th December » Charles Cornwallis, 3rd Baron Cornwallis, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk (d. 1698)
Famous Deaths in History for 1655
- 7th January » Pope Innocent X (b. 1574)
- 25th February » Daniel Heinsius, Flemish scholar (b. 1580)
- 6th April » David Blondel, French clergyman and scholar (b. 1591)
- 30th April » Eustache Le Sueur, French painter (b. 1617)
- 27th June » Eleonora Gonzaga (1598–1655) called Eleonore Gonzaga, Roman wife of Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1598)
- 15th July » Girolamo Rainaldi, Italian architect (b. 1570)
- 28th July » Cyrano de Bergerac, French poet and playwright (b. 1619)
- 10th August » Alfonso de la Cueva, 1st Marquis of Bedmar, Spanish cardinal (b. 1572)
- 24th October » Pierre Gassendi, French priest, astronomer, and mathematician (b. 1592)
- 31st December » Janusz Radziwiłł (1612–55) known as Janusz Radziwiłł, Polish–Lithuanian politician (b. 1612)
Historical events for the year 1655 by month