What Happened In History Year 1661
Historical Events for the Year 1661
- 6th January » Restoration (England) called English Restoration: The Fifth Monarchists unsuccessfully attempt to seize control of London or London, England.
- 19th January » Thomas Venner is hanged, drawn and quartered in London.
- 30th January » Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector Cromwellian republican Commonwealth e.g Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is ritually executed two years after his death, on the anniversary of the execution of Charles I of England e.g the monarch he himself de
- 23rd April » King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland is crowned in Westminster Abbey.
- 23rd June » Marriage contract between Charles II of England and Catherine of Braganza.
- 16th July » The first banknotes in Europe are issued by the Sweden named Swedish bank Stockholms Banco.
- 6th August » The Treaty of The Hague (1661) called Treaty of The Hague is signed by Portugal and the Dutch Republic.
Famous Birthdays in 1661
- 30th January » Charles Rollin, French historian and educator (d. 1741)
- 19th March » Francesco Gasparini, Italian composer and educator (d. 1727)
- 25th March » Paul de Rapin, French historian (d. 1725)
- 16th April » Charles Montagu, 1st Earl of Halifax, English poet and politician, First Lord of the Treasury (d. 1715)
- 25th May » Claude Buffier, Polish-French historian and philosopher (d. 1737)
- 6th June » Giacomo Antonio Perti, Italian composer (d. 1756)
- 9th June » Feodor III of Russia (d. 1682)
- 2nd September » Georg Böhm, German organist and composer (d. 1733)
- 11th October » Melchior de Polignac, French cardinal and poet (d. 1742)
- 1st November » Florent Carton Dancourt, French actor and playwright (d. 1725)
- 4th November » Charles III Philip, Elector Palatine, German son of Landgravine Elisabeth Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt (d. 1742)
- 6th November » Charles II of Spain, King of Spain (d. 1700)
- 15th November » Christoph von Graffenried, Swiss-American settler and author (d. 1743)
- 28th November » Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon, English-American politician, 14th Colonial Governor of New York (d. 1723)
- 5th December » Robert Harley, 1st Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer, English politician, Secretary of State for the Northern Department (d. 1724)
- 18th December » Christopher Polhem, Swedish physicist and inventor (d. 1751)
Famous Deaths in History for 1661
- 19th January » Thomas Venner, English rebel leader (b. 1599)
- 2nd February » Lucas Holstenius, German geographer and historian (b. 1596)
- 1st March » Richard Zouch, English judge and politician (b. 1590)
- 9th March » Cardinal Mazarin, Italian-French politician, Prime Minister of France (b. 1602)
- 4th April » Alexander Leslie, 1st Earl of Leven, Scottish-Swedish field marshal (b. 1580)
- 7th April » Sir William Brereton, 1st Baronet, English commander and politician (b. 1604)
- 27th May » Archibald Campbell, 1st Marquess of Argyll, Scottish politician (b. 1607)
- 21st June » Andrea Sacchi, Italian painter (b. 1599)
- 7th August » Jin Shengtan, Chinese journalist and critic (b. 1608)
- 16th August » Thomas Fuller, English historian and author (b. 1608)
- 4th October » Jacqueline Pascal, French nun and composer (b. 1625)
- 6th October » Guru Har Rai, Indian 7th Sikh gurus called Sikh guru (b. 1630)
- 28th October » Agustín Moreto y Cavana, Spanish priest and playwright (b. 1618)
- 26th November » Luis Méndez de Haro, Spanish general and politician (b. 1598)
- 29th November » Brian Walton (bishop) known as Brian Walton, English bishop and scholar (b. 1600)
- 29th December » Antoine Girard de Saint-Amant, French poet (b. 1594)
Historical events for the year 1661 by month