What Happened In History Year 1682
Historical Events for the Year 1682
- 9th April » René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle known as Robert Cavelier de La Salle discovers the mouth of the Mississippi River, claims it for France and names it Louisiana (New France) called Louisiana.
- 6th May » Louis XIV of France known as Louis XIV moves his court to the Palace of Versailles.
- 24th August » William Penn receives the area that is now the state of Delaware, and adds it to his colony of Pennsylvania.
- 14th September » Bishop Gore School, one of the oldest schools in Wales, is founded.
- 27th October » Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is founded.
Famous Birthdays in 1682
- 25th February » Giovanni Battista Morgagni, Italian anatomist (d. 1771)
- 3rd April » Valentin Rathgeber, German organist and composer (d. 1750)
- 16th April » John Hadley, English mathematician, invented the octant (instrument) known as octant (d. 1744)
- 17th May » Bartholomew Roberts, Welsh pirate (d. 1722)
- 22nd May » Peter Zorn, German librarian, philologist and theologist (d. 1746)
- 17th June » Charles XII of Sweden (d. 1718)
- 10th July » Roger Cotes, English mathematician and astronomer (d. 1716)
- 10th July » Bartholomäus Ziegenbalg, German missionary and linguist (d. 1719)
- 16th August » Louis, Dauphin of France, Duke of Burgundy (d. 1712)
- 29th October » Pierre François Xavier de Charlevoix, French historian, explorer, and author (d. 1761)
Famous Deaths in History for 1682
- 25th February » Alessandro Stradella, Italian composer (b. 1639)
- 14th March » Jacob Isaakszoon van Ruisdael, Dutch painter (b. 1628)
- 1st April » Franz Egon of Fürstenberg, Bavarian bishop (b. 1625)
- 3rd April » Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Spanish painter (b. 1618)
- 14th April » Avvakum, Russian priest (b. 1620)
- 7th May » Feodor III of Russia (b. 1661)
- 12th July » Jean Picard, French astronomer (b. 1620)
- 8th September » Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz, Spanish mathematician and philosopher (b. 1606)
- 19th October » Thomas Browne, English author (b. 1605)
- 23rd November » Claude Lorrain, French-Italian painter and engraver (b. 1604)
- 29th November » Prince Rupert of the Rhine (b. 1619)
Historical events for the year 1682 by month