What Happened In History Year 1688
Historical Events for the Year 1688
- 30th June » The Immortal Seven issue the Invitation to William (continuing the Kingdom of England or English rebellion from Rome), which would culminate in the Glorious Revolution.
- 1st November » William III of Orange sets out a second time from Hellevoetsluis in the Netherlands to seize the crowns of England, Scotland and Ireland from King James II of England during the Glorious Revolution.
- 5th November » William III of England lands with a Dutch fleet at Brixham, Southwest England.
- 9th November » Glorious Revolution: William III of England named William of Orange captures Exeter.
- 15th November » The Glorious Revolution begins: William III of England known as William of Orange lands at Brixham.
- 11th December » Glorious Revolution: James II of England, while trying to flee to France, allegedly throws the Great Seal of the Realm into the River Thames.
- 23rd December » As part of the Glorious Revolution, King James II of England flees from England to Paris, France after being deposed in favor of his nephew, William III of England called William of Orange and his daughter Mary II of England known as Mary.
Famous Birthdays in 1688
- 23rd January » Ulrika Eleonora, Queen of Sweden (d. 1741)
- 25th January » Juraj Jánošík, Slovak criminal (d. 1713)
- 29th January » Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish-English astronomer, philosopher, and theologian (d. 1772)
- 4th February » Pierre de Marivaux, French author and playwright (d. 1763)
- 4th April » Joseph-Nicolas Delisle, French astronomer (d. 1768)
- 15th April » Johann Friedrich Fasch, German violinist and composer (d. 1758)
- 21st May » Alexander Pope, English poet (d. 1744)
- 10th June » James Francis Edward Stuart, English son of James II of England (d. 1766)
- 19th July » Giuseppe Castiglione (Jesuit) or Giuseppe Castiglione, Italian missionary and painter (d. 1766)
- 14th August » Frederick William I of Prussia (d. 1740)
- 12th September » Ferdinand Brokoff, Czech sculptor (d. 1731)
- 17th September » Maria Luisa of Savoy (d. 1714)
- 17th October » Domenico Zipoli, Italian missionary and composer (d. 1726)
- 19th October » William Cheselden, English surgeon and anatomist (d. 1752)
- 15th November » Louis Bertrand Castel, French mathematician (d. 1757)
Famous Deaths in History for 1688
- 2nd February » Abraham Duquesne, French admiral (b. 1610)
- 29th April » Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg (b. 1620)
- 14th May » Antoine Furetière, French clergyman and scholar (b. 1619)
- 5th June » Constantine Phaulkon, Greek adventurer (b. 1667)
- 26th June » Ralph Cudworth, English philosopher and academic (b. 1617)
- 11th July » Narai, Thai king (b. 1629)
- 21st July » James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, English soldier and politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (b. 1610)
- 25th August » Henry Morgan, Welsh admiral and politician, Lieutenant Governor of Jamaica (b. 1635)
- 31st August » John Bunyan, English preacher, theologian, and author (b. 1628)
- 2nd September » Sir Robert Viner, 1st Baronet, English politician, Lord Mayor of London (b. 1631)
- 6th October » Christopher Monck, 2nd Duke of Albemarle, English soldier and politician, Lieutenant Governor of Jamaica (b. 1652)
- 23rd October » Charles du Fresne, sieur du Cange, French philologist and historian (b. 1610)
- 16th November » Bengt Gottfried Forselius, Swedish-Estonian scholar and author (b. 1660)
- 26th November » Philippe Quinault, French playwright (b. 1635)
- 15th December » Gaspar Fagel, Dutch politician (b. 1634)
Historical events for the year 1688 by month