What Happened In History Year 1690
Historical Events for the Year 1690
- 6th January » Joseph I, Holy Roman Emperor e.g Joseph, son of Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor or Emperor Leopold I, becomes King of the Romans.
- 3rd February » The colony of Massachusetts issues the first paper money in the Americas.
- 15th February » Constantin Cantemir, Prince of Moldavia and the Holy Roman Empire sign a secret treaty in Sibiu, stipulating that Moldavia would support the actions led by the House of Habsburg against the Ottoman Empire.
- 8th June » Yadi Sakat, a Siddi general, razes the Mazagon Fort in Mumbai.
- 1st July » Glorious Revolution: Battle of the Boyne in Ireland (as reckoned under the Julian calendar).
- 12th July » Battle of the Boyne (Gregorian calendar) The armies of William III of England e.g William III defeat those of the former James II of England named James II.
- 24th August » Job Charnock of the East India Company establishes a factory in Kolkata named Calcutta, an event formerly considered the founding of the city (in 2003 the Calcutta High Court ruled that the city has no birthday).
- 25th September » 'Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick', the first newspaper to appear in the Americas, is published for the first and only time.
Famous Birthdays in 1690
- 22nd January » Nicolas Lancret, French painter (d. 1743)
- 1st February » Francesco Maria Veracini, Italian violinist and composer (d. 1768)
- 3rd February » Richard Rawlinson, English minister (d. 1755)
- 18th March » Christian Goldbach, Prussian mathematician (d. 1764)
- 22nd April » John Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville, English politician, Lord President of the Council (d. 1763)
- 11th June » Giovanni Antonio Giay, Italian composer (d. 1764)
- 12th September » Peter Dens, Flemish theologian and academic (d. 1775)
- 15th September » Ignazio Prota, Italian composer and educator (d. 1748)
- 28th October » Peter Tordenskjold, Norwegian admiral (d. 1720)
- 29th October » Martin Folkes, English mathematician and astronomer (d. 1754)
- 22nd November » François Colin de Blamont, French pianist and composer (d. 1760)
- 24th November » Charles Theodore Pachelbel, German organist and composer (d. 1750)
- 29th November » Christian August, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst (d. 1747)
- 1st December » Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke, English lawyer and politician, Lord Chancellor named Lord Chancellor of the United Kingdom (d. 1764)
- 23rd December » Pamheiba, Indian emperor (d. 1751)
Famous Deaths in History for 1690
- 3rd January » Hillel ben Naphtali Zevi, Lithuanian rabbi (b. 1615)
- 7th February » Sir William Morice, 1st Baronet, English politician (b. 1628)
- 22nd February » Charles Le Brun, French painter (b. 1619)
- 25th April » David Teniers the Younger, Flemish painter (b. 1610)
- 21st May » John Eliot (missionary) e.g John Eliot, English-American minister and missionary (b. 1604)
- 27th May » Giovanni Legrenzi, Italian organist and composer (b. 1626)
- 2nd September » Philip William, Elector Palatine, German husband of Landgravine Elisabeth Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt (b. 1615)
- 3rd October » Robert Barclay, Scottish apologist and politician, 2nd List of colonial governors of New Jersey or Governor of East Jersey (b. 1648)
- 15th October » Juan de Valdés Leal, Spanish painter and illustrator (b. 1622)
- 17th November » Charles de Sainte-Maure, duc de Montausier, French general and politician (b. 1610)
Historical events for the year 1690 by month