What Happened In History Year 1701
Historical Events for the Year 1701
- 28th January » The Chinese Battle of Dartsedo known as storm Dartsedo.
- 15th May » The War of the Spanish Succession begins.
- 23rd May » After being convicted of piracy and of murdering William Moore, Captain William Kidd is hanged in London, England.
- 9th July » War of the Spanish Succession: Austrians defeat France in the Battle of Carpi.
- 19th July » Representatives of the Iroquois called Iroquois Confederacy sign the Nanfan Treaty, ceding a large territory north of the Ohio River to Kingdom of England e.g England.
- 24th July » Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac founds the trading post at Fort Detroit Fort Pontchartrain, which later becomes the city of Detroit Detroit, Michigan.
- 16th September » James Francis Edward Stuart, sometimes called the "Old Pretender", becomes the Jacobitism named Jacobite claimant to the thrones of England and Scotland.
- 9th October » The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
Famous Birthdays in 1701
- 27th January » Johann Nikolaus von Hontheim, German historian (d. 1790)
- 28th January » Charles Marie de La Condamine, French mathematician and geographer (d. 1774)
- 1st February » Johan Agrell, Swedish-German composer (d. 1765)
- 14th February » Enrique Flórez, Spanish historian (d. 1773)
- 18th March » Niclas Sahlgren, Swedish businessman and philanthropist, co-founded the Swedish East India Company (d. 1776)
- 27th April » Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia (d. 1773)
- 14th May » William Emerson (mathematician) or William Emerson, English mathematician (d. 1782)
- 19th June » François Rebel, French violinist and composer (d. 1775)
- 4th August » Thomas Blackwell (scholar) or Thomas Blackwell, Scottish historian and scholar (d. 1757)
- 18th October » Charles le Beau, French historian and author (d. 1778)
- 19th October » Helen and Judith of Szony, Hungarian conjoined twins (d. 1723)
- 22nd October » Maria Amalia of Austria (d. 1756)
- 5th November » Pietro Longhi, Venetian painter (d. 1785)
- 27th November » Anders Celsius, Swedish astronomer, physicist, and mathematician (d. 1744)
Famous Deaths in History for 1701
- 3rd January » Louis I, Prince of Monaco (b. 1642)
- 14th January » Tokugawa Mitsukuni, Japanese daimyo (b. 1628)
- 4th April » Joseph Haines, English actor, singer, and dancer
- 21st April » Asano Naganori, Japanese daimyo (b. 1667)
- 23rd May » William Kidd, Scottish pirate (b. 1645)
- 2nd June » Madeleine de Scudéry, French author (b. 1607)
- 7th July » William Stoughton (Massachusetts) named William Stoughton, American judge and politician, Governor of the Province of Massachusetts Bay (b. 1631)
- 20th August » Sir Charles Sedley, 5th Baronet, English playwright and politician, Speaker of the House of Commons (United Kingdom) called Speaker of the British House of Commons (b. 1639)
- 22nd August » John Granville, 1st Earl of Bath, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (b. 1628)
- 15th September » Edmé Boursault, French author and playwright (b. 1638)
- 16th September » James II of England (b. 1633)
- 3rd October » Joseph Williamson (politician) known as Joseph Williamson, English politician (b. 1633)
Historical events for the year 1701 by month