What Happened In History Year 1703
Historical Events for the Year 1703
- 30th January » The Forty-seven Ronin, under the command of Ōishi Kuranosuke, avenge the death of their master.
- 27th May » Tsar Peter I of Russia e.g Peter the Great founds the city of Saint Petersburg.
- 31st July » Daniel Defoe is placed in a pillory for the crime of seditious libel after publishing a politically satirical pamphlet, but is pelted with flowers.
- 26th November » The Great Storm of 1703, the greatest windstorm ever recorded in the southern part of Great Britain, makes landfall. Winds gust up to 120 mph, and 9,000 people die.
- 27th November » The first Eddystone Lighthouse is destroyed in the Great Storm of 1703.
- 27th December » Portugal and England sign the Methuen Treaty which gives preference to Portuguese imported wines into England.
Famous Birthdays in 1703
- 20th January » Joseph-Hector Fiocco, Flemish violinist and composer (d. 1741)
- 29th January » Carlmann Kolb, German priest and composer (d. 1765)
- 30th January » François Bigot, French politician (d. 1778)
- 5th February » Gilbert Tennent, Irish-American minister (d. 1764)
- 21st February » Shah Waliullah, Islamic scholar and reformer (d. 1762)
- 5th March » Vasily Kirillovich Trediakovsky, Russian poet (d. 1768)
- 21st June » Joseph Lieutaud, French physician and anatomist (d. 1780)
- 23rd June » Marie Leszczyńska, Polish wife of Louis XV of France (d. 1768)
- 26th June » Thomas Clap, American minister and academic (d. 1767)
- 28th June » John Wesley, English cleric and theologian (d. 1791)
- 2nd August » Lorenzo Ricci, Italian religious leader, 18th Superior General of the Society of Jesus (d. 1775)
- 29th September » François Boucher, French painter (d. 1770)
- 5th October » Jonathan Edwards (theologian) e.g Jonathan Edwards, American pastor and theologian (d. 1758)
- 27th October » Johann Gottlieb Graun, German violinist and composer (d. 1771)
- 28th October » Antoine Deparcieux, French mathematician (d. 1768)
- 25th November » Jean-François Séguier, French astronomer and botanist (d. 1784)
- 26th November » Theophilus Cibber, English actor and playwright (d. 1758)
- 2nd December » Ferdinand Konščak, Croatian missionary and explorer (d. 1759)
Famous Deaths in History for 1703
- 3rd March » Robert Hooke, English architect and philosopher (b. 1635)
- 31st March » Johann Christoph Bach, German organist and composer (b. 1642)
- 20th April » Lancelot Addison, English educator (b. 1632)
- 16th May » Charles Perrault, French author (b. 1628)
- 26th May » Samuel Pepys, English politician (b. 1633)
- 14th June » Jean Herauld Gourville, French adventurer (b. 1625)
- 22nd September » Vincenzo Viviani, Italian mathematician and physicist (b. 1622)
- 25th September » Archibald Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll, Scottish general (b. 1658)
- 29th September » Charles de Saint-Évremond, French-English soldier, author, and critic (b. 1610)
- 14th October » Thomas Kingo, Danish bishop and poet (b. 1634)
- 28th October » John Wallis, English mathematician and cryptographer (b. 1616)
- 27th November » Henry Winstanley, English painter and engineer (b. 1644)
- 30th November » Nicolas de Grigny, French organist and composer (b. 1672)
Historical events for the year 1703 by month