What Happened In History Year 1708
Historical Events for the Year 1708
- 11th March » Anne, Queen of Great Britain Queen Anne withholds Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill 1708 Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a Kingdom of Great Britain British monarch vetoes legislation.
- 23rd March » James Francis Edward Stuart lands at the Firth of Forth.
- 11th September » Charles XII of Sweden stops his march to conquer Moscow outside Smolensk, marking the turning point in the Great Northern War. The army is defeated nine months later in the Battle of Poltava, and the Swedish Empire ceases to be a major power.
- 9th October » Peter the Great defeats the Swedes at the Battle of Lesnaya.
Famous Birthdays in 1708
- 26th January » William Hayes (composer) or William Hayes, English organist, composer, and conductor (d. 1777)
- 27th January » Grand Duchess Anna Petrovna of Russia (d. 1728)
- 8th February » Václav Jan Kopřiva, Bohemian organist and composer (d. 1789)
- 11th February » Egidio Duni, Italian composer (d. 1775)
- 25th February » Felix Benda, Bohemian organist and composer (d. 1768)
- 6th April » Georg Reutter II, Austrian composer (d. 1772)
- 19th June » Johann Gottlieb Janitsch, German composer (d. 1763)
- 15th November » William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1778)
- 8th December » Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1765)
Famous Deaths in History for 1708
- 6th May » François de Laval, French-Canadian bishop (b. 1623)
- 11th May » Jules Hardouin Mansart, French architect, designed the Château de Dampierre and Grand Trianon (b. 1646)
- 12th May » Adolphus Frederick II, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (b. 1658)
- 30th June » Tekle Haymanot I of Ethiopia (b. 1706)
- 6th September » Sir John Morden, 1st Baronet, English merchant and philanthropist, founded Morden College (b. 1623)
- 1st October » John Blow, English organist and composer (b. 1649)
- 2nd October » Anne Jules de Noailles, French general (b. 1650)
- 7th October » Guru Gobind Singh, Indian 10th Sikh Guru (b. 1666)
- 10th October » David Gregory (mathematician) named David Gregory, Scottish mathematician and astronomer (b. 1659)
- 11th October » Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus, German mathematician, physicist, physician, and philosopher (b. 1651)
- 22nd October » Hermann Witsius, Dutch theologian (b. 1636)
- 28th October » Prince George of Denmark (b. 1653)
- 17th November » Ludolf Bakhuizen, German-Dutch painter (b. 1631)
- 22nd December » Hedvig Sophia of Sweden (b. 1681)
- 28th December » Joseph Pitton de Tournefort, French botanist and mycologist (b. 1656)
Historical events for the year 1708 by month