What Happened In History Year 1745
Historical Events for the Year 1745
- 18th February » The city of Surakarta, Central Java is founded on the banks of Solo River, Java called Bengawan Solo River, and becomes the capital of the Kingdom of Surakarta.
- 11th May » War of the Austrian Succession: Battle of Fontenoy (1745) Battle of Fontenoy French forces defeat an England Anglo-Netherlands Dutch-Hanoverian army.
- 16th June » British troops take Cape Breton Island, which is now part of Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 16th June » War of the Austrian Succession: New England colonial troops under the command of William Pepperrell capture the French colonial empires known as French Fortress of Louisbourg in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia (Old Style).
- 28th June » War of the Austrian Succession: A New England colonial army captures Louisbourg (community) or Louisbourg, New France, after a Siege of Louisbourg (1745) known as forty-seven-day siege (New Style).
- 9th July » War of the Austrian Succession: French victory in the Battle of Melle allows them to capture Ghent in the days after.
- 19th August » Prince Charles Edward Stuart raises his standard in Glenfinnan: The start of the Jacobite rising of 1745 e.g Second Jacobite Rebellion, known as "the 45".
- 21st September » Battle of Prestonpans: A House of Hanover Hanoverian army under the command of John Cope (British Army officer) Sir John Cope is defeated, in ten minutes, by the Jacobitism Jacobite forces of Prince Charles Edward Stuart
- 8th November » Charles Edward Stuart invades England with an army of ~5000 that would later participate in the Battle of Culloden.
Famous Birthdays in 1745
- 1st January » Anthony Wayne, American general and politician (d. 1796)
- 6th January » Montgolfier brothers or Jacques-Étienne Montgolfier, French inventor, co-invented the hot air balloon (d. 1799)
- 9th January » Caleb Strong, American lawyer and politician, 6th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1819)
- 10th January » Isaac Titsingh, Dutch surgeon, scholar, and diplomat (d. 1812)
- 23rd January » William Jessop, English engineer, built the Cromford Canal (d. 1814)
- 18th February » Alessandro Volta, Italian physicist, invented the Battery (electricity) known as battery (d. 1827)
- 20th February » Henry James Pye, English poet (d. 1813)
- 4th March » Charles Dibdin, English actor, playwright, and composer (d. 1814)
- 4th March » Casimir Pulaski, Polish-American general (d. 1779)
- 10th March » John Gunby, American soldier (d. 1807)
- 11th March » Bodawpaya, Burmese king (d. 1819)
- 20th April » Philippe Pinel, French physician (d. 1826)
- 29th April » Oliver Ellsworth, American lawyer and politician, 3rd Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1807)
- 8th May » Carl Stamitz, German violinist and composer (d. 1801)
- 8th June » Caspar Wessel, Norwegian-Danish mathematician and cartographer (d. 1818)
- 5th July » Carl Arnold Kortum, German physician (d. 1824)
- 13th July » Robert Calder, Scottish admiral (d. 1818)
- 17th July » Peter Ludwig von der Pahlen, Russian general (d. 1826)
- 16th September » Mikhail Kutuzov, Russian field marshal (d. 1813)
- 24th November » Maria Luisa of Spain (d. 1792)
- 9th December » Maddalena Laura Sirmen, Italian violinist and composer (d. 1818)
- 12th December » John Jay, American jurist and politician, 1st Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1829)
- 25th December » Chevalier de Saint-Georges, Caribbean-French violinist, composer, and conductor (d. 1799)
Famous Deaths in History for 1745
- 18th March » Robert Walpole, English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1676)
- 9th May » Tomaso Antonio Vitali, Italian violinist and composer (b. 1663)
- 22nd May » François-Marie, 1st duc de Broglie, French general (b. 1671)
- 19th October » Jonathan Swift, Irish priest and poet (b. 1667)
- 16th November » James Butler, 2nd Duke of Ormonde, Irish general and politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (b. 1665)
- 8th December » Étienne Fourmont, French orientalist and academic (b. 1683)
- 19th December » Jean-Baptiste van Loo, French painter (b. 1684)
Historical events for the year 1745 by month