What Happened In History Year 1760
Historical Events for the Year 1760
- 9th January » Afghanistan called Afghans defeat Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
- 28th January » Pownal, Vermont is created by Benning Wentworth as one of the New Hampshire Grants.
- 20th March » The "List of historic fires called Great Fire" of Boston, Massachusetts, destroys 349 buildings.
- 4th June » Great Upheaval: New England planters arrive to claim land in Nova Scotia, Canada, taken from the Acadians.
- 27th June » Cherokee warriors defeat British Empire called British forces at the Battle of Echoee near present-day Otto, North Carolina during the Anglo-Cherokee War.
- 8th July » French and Indian War: Battle of Restigouche British forces defeat French forces in last naval battle in New France.
- 10th October » In a treaty with the Dutch colonial authorities, the Ndyuka people of Suriname - descended from Maroon (people) known as escaped slaves - gain territorial autonomy.
- 25th October » George III of the United Kingdom or George III becomes British monarch named King of Great Britain.
Famous Birthdays in 1760
- 3rd January » Veerapandiya Kattabomman, Indian activist (d.1799)
- 3rd January » John Storm, American soldier (d. 1835)
- 10th January » Johann Rudolf Zumsteeg, German composer and conductor (d. 1802)
- 15th February » Jean-François Le Sueur, French composer (d. 1837)
- 1st March » François Buzot, French politician (d. 1794)
- 2nd March » Camille Desmoulins, French journalist and politician (d. 1794)
- 27th March » Ishmail Spicer, American composer, educator, and publisher (d. 1832)
- 27th March » Auguste Vestris, French ballet dancer (d. 1842)
- 28th March » Thomas Clarkson, English activist (d. 1846)
- 4th April » Juan Manuel Olivares, Venezuelan composer (d. 1797)
- 10th May » Johann Peter Hebel, German author and poet (d. 1826)
- 10th May » Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, French captain, engineer, and composer (d. 1836)
- 5th June » Johan Gadolin, Finnish chemist, physicist, and mineralogist (d. 1852)
- 8th July » Christian Kramp, French mathematician and academic (d. 1826)
- 13th July » István Pauli, Hungarian-Slovene priest and poet (d. 1829)
- 22nd August » Pope Leo XII (d. 1829)
- 15th September » Bogislav Friedrich Emanuel von Tauentzien, Prussian general (d. 1824)
- 21st September » Ivan Dmitriev, Russian poet and politician, List of Ministers of Justice of Imperial Russia known as Minister of Justice for Imperial Russia (d. 1837)
- 1st October » William Thomas Beckford, English author and politician (d. 1844)
- 17th October » Claude Henri de Rouvroy, comte de Saint-Simon, French economist and philosopher (d. 1825)
- 27th October » August Neidhardt von Gneisenau, Prussian field marshal (d. 1831)
- 13th November » Jiaqing Emperor of China (d. 1820)
- 21st November » Joseph Plumb Martin, American sergeant (d. 1850)
- 23rd November » François-Noël Babeuf, French journalist and activist (d. 1797)
- 2nd December » John Breckinridge (U.S. Attorney General) or John Breckinridge, American soldier, lawyer, and politician, 5th United States Attorney General (d. 1806)
- 2nd December » Joseph Graetz, German organist, composer, and educator (d. 1826)
- 30th December » Charles Sapinaud de La Rairie, French general (d. 1829)
Famous Deaths in History for 1760
- 10th April » Jean Lebeuf, French historian (b. 1687)
- 5th May » Laurence Shirley, 4th Earl Ferrers, English politician (b. 1720)
- 9th May » Nicolaus Zinzendorf, German bishop (b. 1700)
- 11th May » Alaungpaya, Burmese king (b. 1714)
- 22nd May » Baal Shem Tov, Polish rabbi (b. 1700)
- 13th June » Antoine Court (Huguenot) e.g Antoine Court, French minister (b. 1696)
- 13th July » Conrad Weiser, German-American diplomat (b. 1696)
- 11th September » Louis Godin, French astronomer and academic (b. 1704)
- 25th October » George II of Great Britain (b. 1683)
Historical events for the year 1760 by month