What Happened In History Year 1765
Historical Events for the Year 1765
- 25th January » Port Egmont, the first British settlement in the Falkland Islands at the southern tip of South America, is founded.
- 9th March » After a campaign by the writer Voltaire, judges in Paris posthumously exonerate Jean Calas of murdering his son. Calas had been tortured and executed in 1762 on the charge, though his son may have actually committed suicide.
- 22nd March » The Parliament of Great Britain British Parliament passes the Stamp Act 1765 Stamp Act that introduces a tax to be levied directly on its British colonization of the Americas American colonies.
- 24th March » American Revolution: The Kingdom of Great Britain passes the Quartering Act, which requires the Thirteen Colonies to house Armed Forces of the United Kingdom known as British troops.
- 23rd August » Beginning of Burmese–Siamese War (1765–1767) or Burmese–Siamese War.
- 1st November » The British Parliament enacts the Stamp Act 1765 known as Stamp Act on the 13 colonies in order to help pay for Kingdom of Great Britain known as British military operations in North America.
Famous Birthdays in 1765
- 7th March » Nicéphore Niépce, French inventor, invented photography (d. 1833)
- 27th March » Franz Xaver von Baader, German philosopher and theologian (d. 1841)
- 1st April » Luigi Schiavonetti, Italian engraver (d. 1810)
- 28th April » Sylvestre François Lacroix, French mathematician (d. 1834)
- 15th June » Martin Baum, American businessman and politician (d. 1831)
- 15th June » Johann Gottlieb Friedrich von Bohnenberger, German astronomer and mathematician (d. 1831)
- 6th August » Petros Mavromichalis, Greek general and politician, 2nd List of Prime Ministers of Greece e.g Prime Minister of Greece (d. 1848)
- 21st August » William IV of the United Kingdom (d. 1837)
- 15th September » Manuel Maria Barbosa du Bocage, Portuguese poet and author (d. 1805)
- 18th September » Pope Gregory XVI (d. 1846)
- 22nd September » Paolo Ruffini, Italian mathematician and philosopher (d. 1822)
- 27th September » Antoine Philippe de La Trémoille, French general (d. 1794)
- 30th September » José María Morelos, Mexican general (d. 1815)
- 8th October » Harman Blennerhassett, English-Irish lawyer and politician (d. 1831)
- 4th November » Pierre-Simon Girard, French mathematician and engineer (d. 1836)
- 14th November » Robert Fulton, American engineer and inventor, invented the steamboat (d. 1815)
- 17th November » Jacques MacDonald, French general (d. 1840)
- 20th November » Thomas Fremantle (Royal Navy officer) called Thomas Fremantle, English admiral and politician (d. 1819)
- 8th December » Eli Whitney, American engineer, invented the cotton gin (d. 1825)
- 22nd December » Johann Friedrich Pfaff, German mathematician and academic (d. 1825)
Famous Deaths in History for 1765
- 12th January » Johann Melchior Molter, German violinist and composer (b. 1696)
- 3rd March » William Stukeley, English archaeologist (b. 1687)
- 14th March » Ayagawa Gorōji, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 2nd Makuuchi Yokozuna called Yokozuna (b. 1703)
- 5th April » Edward Young, English poet (b. 1683)
- 15th April » Mikhail Lomonosov, Russian chemist and physicist (b. 1711)
- 17th May » Alexis Clairaut, French mathematician, astronomer, and geophysicist (b. 1713)
- 15th July » Charles-André van Loo, French painter (b. 1705)
- 18th August » Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1708)
- 2nd September » Henry Bouquet, Swiss-English colonel (b. 1719)
- 10th October » Lionel Sackville, 1st Duke of Dorset, English politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (b. 1688)
- 21st October » Giovanni Paolo Panini, Italian painter and architect (b. 1691)
- 31st October » Prince William, Duke of Cumberland (b. 1721)
- 30th November » George Glas, Scottish merchant and explorer (b. 1725)
- 3rd December » Lord John Sackville, English cricketer (b. 1713)
- 16th December » Peter Frederick Haldimand, Swiss-Canadian lieutenant and surveyor (b. 1741)
- 20th December » Louis, Dauphin of France (1729–1765) or Louis, Dauphin of France (b. 1729)
Historical events for the year 1765 by month