What Happened In History Year 1788
Historical Events for the Year 1788
- 1st January » First edition of 'The Times' of London, previously 'The Daily Universal Register', is published.
- 2nd January » Georgia (U.S. state) or Georgia becomes the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 9th January » Connecticut becomes the fifth state to be admitted to the United States.
- 19th January » The second group of ships of the First Fleet arrive at Botany Bay.
- 20th January » The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 26th January » The British First Fleet, led by Arthur Phillip, sails into Port Jackson or Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) to establish Sydney, the first permanent European settlement on the continent. Commemorated as Australia Day
- 6th February » Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 9th February » The Habsburg Monarchy Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War (1787–92) Russo-Turkish War in the Imperial Russia Russian camp.
- 6th March » The First Fleet arrives at Norfolk Island in order to found a convict settlement.
- 21st March » Great New Orleans Fire (1788) known as A fire in New Orleans leaves most of the town in ruins.
- 7th April » American Pioneers to the Northwest Territory arrive at the confluence of the Ohio River known as Ohio and Muskingum River known as Muskingum rivers, establishing Marietta, Ohio, as the first permanent American settlement of the new United States in the No
- 28th April » Maryland becomes the seventh state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.
- 8th May » The French Parlement is suspended to be replaced by the creation of forty-seven new courts.
- 23rd May » South Carolina ratifies the United States Constitution as the 8th United States e.g American state.
- 7th June » French Revolution: Day of the Tiles — civilians in Grenoble toss roof tiles and various objects down upon royal troops.
- 11th June » Russian explorer Gerasim Izmailov reaches Alaska.
- 21st June » New Hampshire ratifies the Constitution of the United States and is admitted as the 9th state in the United States.
- 25th June » Virginia becomes the 10th state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 25th July » Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart completes his Symphony No. 40 (Mozart) or Symphony No. 40 in G minor (K550).
- 26th July » New York ratifies the United States Constitution and becomes the 11th state of the United States.
Historical events for the year 1788 by month