What Happened In History Year 1790
Historical Events for the Year 1790
- 8th January » George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York City or New York, New York.
- 30th January » The first boat specializing as a Lifeboat (rescue) or lifeboat is tested on the River Tyne.
- 1st February » In New York City, the Supreme Court of the United States convenes for the first time.
- 11th February » The Religious Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, petitions United States Congress or U.S. Congress for Abolitionism in the United States named abolition of slavery.
- 1st March » The first United States Census Bureau e.g United States census is authorized.
- 4th March » France is divided into 83 'Departments of France e.g départements', cutting across the provinces of France or former provinces in an attempt to dislodge regional loyalties based on ownership of land by the nobility.
- 31st May » Manuel Quimper explores the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
- 31st May » The United States enacts its first United States copyright law named copyright statute, the Copyright Act of 1790.
- 9th July » Russo-Swedish War (1788–90) Russo-Swedish War: Battle of Svensksund Second Battle of Svensksund in the Baltic Sea, the Swedish Navy captures one third of the Russian Navy Russian fleet.
- 12th July » The Civil Constitution of the Clergy is passed in France by the National Constituent Assembly.
- 14th July » French Revolution: Citizens of Paris celebrate the unity of the French people and the national reconciliation in the Fête de la Fédération.
- 16th July » The Washington, D.C. or District of Columbia is established as the capital of the United States after signature of the Residence Act.
- 31st July » The first U.S. patent is issued, to inventor Samuel Hopkins (inventor) or Samuel Hopkins for a potash process.
- 2nd August » The first United States Census is conducted.
- 4th August » A newly passed tariff act creates the 'United States Revenue Cutter Service or Revenue Cutter Service' (the forerunner of the United States Coast Guard).
- 22nd October » Warriors of the Miami tribe under Chief Little Turtle defeat United States troops under General Josiah Harmar at the site of present-day Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the Northwest Indian War.
- 1st November » Edmund Burke publishes 'Reflections on the Revolution in France', in which he predicts that the French Revolution will end in a disaster.
- 6th December » The Congress of the United States or U.S. Congress moves from New York City to Philadelphia.
- 17th December » Discovery of the Aztec calendar stone.
- 22nd December » The Turkey or Turkish fortress of Izmail is stormed and captured by Alexander Suvorov and his Russian armies.
- 26th December » Louis XVI of France gives his public assent to Civil Constitution of the Clergy during the French Revolution.
- 31st December » 'Efimeris', the oldest Greece known as Greek newspaper of which issues have survived till today is published for the first time.
Historical events for the year 1790 by month