What Happened In History Year 1797
Historical Events for the Year 1797
- 7th January » The modern Flag of Italy named Italian flag is first used.
- 13th January » French Revolutionary Wars: A Action of 13 January 1797 named naval battle between a French ship of the line and two British frigates off the coast of Brittany ends with the French vessel running aground, resulting in over 900 deaths.
- 4th February » The 1797 Riobamba earthquake e.g Riobamba earthquake strikes Ecuador, causing up to 40,000 casualties.
- 14th February » French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of Cape St Vincent (1797) Battle of Cape St. Vincent John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent John Jervis, (later 1st Earl of St Vincent) and Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson Horatio Nelson (later 1st Viscount Nelson) lead
- 18th February » French Revolutionary Wars: Sir Ralph Abercromby and a fleet of 18 Kingdom of Great Britain or British warships Invasion of Trinidad (1797) called invade Trinidad.
- 22nd February » The Last Invasion of Britain begins near Fishguard, Wales.
- 25th February » Colonel William Tate and his force of 1000-1500 soldiers surrender after the Battle of Fishguard called Last invasion of Britain.
- 2nd March » The Bank of England Bank of England note issues issues the first Banknotes of the pound sterling one-pound and Banknotes of the pound sterling two-pound banknotes.
- 17th April » Sir Ralph Abercromby Battle of San Juan (1797) named attacks San Juan, Puerto Rico, in what would be one of the largest invasions of the Spanish territories in America.
- 17th April » Citizens of Verona, Italy, begin an Veronese Easters e.g eight-day rebellion against the First French Republic or French occupying forces, which will end unsuccessfully.
- 18th April » The Battle of Neuwied (1797) e.g Battle of Neuwied France called French victory against the Austrians.
- 12th May » First Coalition: Napoleon I of France conquers Venice.
- 22nd July » Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (1797) called Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Battle between Spanish and British naval forces during the French Revolutionary Wars. During the Battle, Rear-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson known as Nelson is w
- 25th July » Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson or Horatio Nelson loses more than 300 men and his right arm during the failed conquest attempt of Tenerife (Spain).
- 4th September » Coup of 18 Fructidor in France.
- 11th October » Battle of Camperdown: Naval battle between Royal Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy during the French Revolutionary Wars. The outcome of the battle was a decisive British victory.
- 18th October » Treaty of Campo Formio is signed between France and Austria
- 21st October » In Boston Harbor, the 44-gun United States Navy frigate USS called Constitution is launched.
- 22nd October » André-Jacques Garnerin makes the first recorded parachute jump from one thousand meters (3,200 feet) above Paris.
Historical events for the year 1797 by month