What Happened In History Year 1799
Historical Events for the Year 1799
- 17th January » Malta known as Maltese patriot Dun Mikiel Xerri, along with a number of other patriots, is executed.
- 3rd March » The Siege of Corfu (1798–99) called Russo-Ottoman siege of Corfu ends with the surrender of the French garrison.
- 7th March » Napoleon I of France Napoleon Bonaparte Siege of Jaffa captures Jaffa, Israel Jaffa in Palestine and his troops proceed to kill more than 2,000 Albanian captives.
- 16th April » Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Mount Tabor Napoleon I of France or Napoleon drives Ottoman Turks across the River Jordan near Acre, Israel known as Acre.
- 4th May » Fourth Anglo-Mysore War: The Battle of Seringapatam: The siege of Seringapatam ends when the city is invaded and Tipu Sultan killed by the besieging British army, under the command of George Harris, 1st Baron Harris named General George Harris.
- 18th June » Action of 18 June 1799: A frigate squadron under Rear-admiral Jean-Baptiste Perrée known as Perrée is captured by the British fleet under George Elphinstone, 1st Viscount Keith called Lord Keith
- 12th July » Ranjit Singh conquers Lahore and becomes Maharaja of the Punjab (Sikh Empire).
- 20th July » Tekle Giyorgis I of Ethiopia named Tekle Giyorgis I begins his first of five reigns as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 25th July » At Abu Qir in Egypt, Napoleon I of France Battle of Abukir (1799) called defeats 10,000 Ottoman Empire or Ottomans under Mustafa Pasha.
- 23rd August » Napoleon called Napoleon I of France leaves Egypt for France en route to seizing power.
- 30th August » The entire Dutch fleet Vlieter Incident named is captured by British forces under the command of Sir Ralph Abercromby and Admiral Sir Charles Mitchell during the War of the Second Coalition.
- 19th September » French Revolutionary Wars: French-Dutch victory against the Russians and British in the Battle of Bergen (1799) or Battle of Bergen.
- 9th October » Sinking of HMS Lutine (1779) or HMS 'Lutine', with the loss of 240 men and a cargo worth £1,200,000.
- 12th October » Jeanne Geneviève Labrosse was the first woman to jump from a balloon with a parachute, from an altitude of 900 meters.
- 3rd December » War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Wiesloch (1799) Battle of Wiesloch Austrian monarchy Austrian Lieutenant Field Marshal Anton Count Sztáray de Nagy-Mihaly Sztáray de Nagy-Mihaly defeats the First French Empire French at Wiesloch.
- 10th December » France adopts the metre as its official unit of length.
Historical events for the year 1799 by month