What Happened In History Year 1821
Historical Events for the Year 1821
- 28th January » Alexander Island is first discovered by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen.
- 22nd February » Greek War of Independence: Alexander Ypsilantis crosses the Prut river at Sculeni into the Danubian Principalities.
- 23rd February » Alexander Ypsilantis (1792–1828) named Alexander Ypsilantis starts the Greek War of Independence in Iași, Wallachia (now part of Romania).
- 25th February » Greek War of Independence: Alexander Ypsilantis issues a proclamation at Iași, announcing that he had "the support of a great power" (i.e. Russia).
- 21st March » Greek War of Independence: First revolutionary act in the monastery of Agia Lavra, Kalavryta.
- 23rd March » Greek War of Independence: Battle and fall of city of Kalamata.
- 25th March » (Julian Calendar) Traditional date of the start of the Greek War of Independence. The war had actually begun on 23 February 1821. The date was chosen in the early years of the Greek state so that it falls on the day of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virg
- 10th April » Patriarch Gregory V of Constantinople is hanged by the Ottoman Empire e.g Ottoman government from the main gate of the Patriarchate and his body is thrown into the Bosphorus.
- 21st April » Benderli Ali Pasha arrives in Constantinople as the new Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire; he remains in power for only nine days before being sent into exile.
[İsmail Hâmi Danişmend, 'Osmanlı Devlet Erkânı', Türkiye Yayınevi, İstanbul, 1971, p. 72. T]
- 5th May » Emperor Napoleon I dies in exile on the island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean.
- 8th May » Greek War of Independence: The Greeks defeat the Turks at the Battle of Gravia Inn.
- 12th May » The first major battle of the Greek War of Independence against the Ottoman Empire e.g Turks is Battle of Valtetsi known as fought in Valtetsi.
- 26th May » Establishment of the Peloponnesian Senate by the Greek War of Independence named Greek rebels.
- 19th June » Decisive defeat of the Filiki Eteria by the Ottomans at Drăgășani (in Wallachia).
- 19th June » Coronation of George IV of the United Kingdom.
- 24th June » The Battle of Carabobo takes place. It is the decisive battle in the war of independence of Venezuela from Spain.
- 9th July » Four hundred seventy prominent Cyprus named Cypriots including Archbishop Kyprianos are executed in response to Cypriot aid to the Greek War of Independence
- 10th July » The United States takes possession of its newly bought territory of Florida from Spain.
- 23rd July » While the Greek War of Independence called Mora Rebellion continues, Greeks capture Monemvasia named Monemvasia Castle. Turkish troops and citizens are transferred to Minor Asia coasts.
- 28th July » José de San Martín declares the independence of Peru from Spain.
- 4th August » Atkinson & Alexander publish 'The Saturday Evening Post' for the first time as a weekly newspaper.
- 10th August » Missouri is admitted as the 24th U.S. state.
- 21st August » Jarvis Island is discovered by the crew of the ship, 'Eliza Frances'.
- 24th August » The Treaty of Córdoba is signed in Córdoba, Veracruz named Córdoba, now in Veracruz (state) named Veracruz, Mexico, concluding the Mexican War of Independence from Spain.
- 26th August » The University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, is officially opened.
- 15th September » Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica jointly declare independence from Spain.
- 23rd September » Siege of Tripolitsa e.g Tripolitsa, Greece, is captured by Greek rebels during the Greek War of Independence.
- 27th September » Mexico gains its independence from Spain.
- 8th October » The government of general José de San Martín establishes the Peruvian Navy.
- 28th November » Public holidays in Panama known as Panama Independence Day: Panama separates from Spain and joins Gran Colombia.
Historical events for the year 1821 by month