What Happened In History Year 1839
Historical Events for the Year 1839
- 6th January » The Night of the Big Wind named most damaging storm in 300 years sweeps across Ireland, damaging or destroying more than 20% of the houses in Dublin.
- 9th January » The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 19th January » The British East India Company captures Aden.
- 20th January » In the Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats an alliance between Peru and Bolivia.
- 26th March » The first Henley Royal Regatta is held.
- 19th April » The Treaty of London (1839) called Treaty of London establishes Belgium as a kingdom and guaranteeing its neutrality.
- 3rd June » In Humen Town known as Humen, China, Lin Tse-hsü destroys 1.2 million kg of opium confiscated from British merchants, providing Britain with a 'casus belli' to open hostilities, resulting in the First Opium War.
- 14th June » Henley Royal Regatta: the village of Henley-on-Thames, on the River Thames in Oxfordshire, stages its first regatta.
- 17th June » In the Kingdom of Hawaii, Kamehameha III issues the edict of toleration which gives Roman Catholic Church or Roman Catholics the freedom to worship in the Hawaiian Islands. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu called Hawaii Catholic Church and the Cathe
- 22nd June » Cherokee leaders Major Ridge, John Ridge, and Elias Boudinot (Cherokee) or Elias Boudinot are assassinated for signing the Treaty of New Echota, which had resulted in the Cherokee removal or Trail of Tears.
- 2nd July » Twenty miles off the coast of Cuba, 53 rebelling African slaves led by Joseph Cinqué take over the slave ship 'La Amistad called Amistad'.
- 23rd August » The United Kingdom captures Hong Kong as a base as it prepares for war with Qing Dynasty or Qing China. The ensuing 3-year conflict will later be known as the First Opium War.
- 5th September » The United Kingdom declares First Opium War e.g war on the Qing dynasty of China.
- 9th September » John Herschel takes the first glass plate photograph.
- 4th November » Newport Rising: the last large-scale armed rebellion against authority in mainland Britain.
- 11th November » The Virginia Military Institute is founded in Lexington, Virginia.
- 25th November » A Pre-1980 North Indian Ocean cyclone seasons November 1839 Coringa cyclone called cyclone slams India with high winds and a 40-foot storm surge, destroying the port city of Coringa (village) known as Coringa (which has never been completely rebuilt). The
- 27th November » In Boston, Massachusetts, the American Statistical Association is founded.
Historical events for the year 1839 by month