What Happened In History Year 1865
Historical Events for the Year 1865
- 2nd January » Uruguayan War: The Siege of Paysandú ends as Empire of Brazil e.g Brazilian and Colorado Party (Uruguay) e.g Coloradans capture Paysandú, Uruguay.
- 4th January » The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York City named New York, New York.
- 15th January » American Civil War: Fort Fisher in North Carolina Second Battle of Fort Fisher e.g falls to the Union, thus cutting off the last major seaport of the Confederacy.
- 31st January » American Civil War: The United States Congress passes the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, abolishing slavery and submits it to the states for ratification.
- 31st January » American Civil War: Confederate States of America e.g Confederate General Robert E. Lee becomes general-in-chief.
- 1st February » President Abraham Lincoln signs the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- 8th February » In the United States, Delaware voters reject the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and vote to continue the practice of slavery. (Delaware finally ratifies the amendment on February 12, 1901.)
- 17th February » American Civil War: Columbia, South Carolina, is Capture of Columbia burned as Confederate States of America Confederate forces flee from advancing United States Union forces.
- 18th February » American Civil War: Union Army e.g Union forces under Major General William T. Sherman set the South Carolina State House on fire during the Columbia, South Carolina, in the Civil War e.g burning of Columbia.
- 20th February » End of the Uruguayan War, with a peace agreement between President Tomás Villalba and rebel leader Venancio Flores, setting the scene for the destructive Paraguayan War called War of the Triple Alliance.
- 2nd March » East Cape War: The Volkner Incident in New Zealand.
- 3rd March » Opening of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, the founding member of the HSBC called HSBC Group.
- 4th March » The Flags of the Confederate States of America named third and final national flag of the Confederate States of America is adopted by the Confederate Congress.
- 13th March » American Civil War: The Confederate States of America agree to the use of African American troops.
- 16th March » American Civil War: The Battle of Averasborough began as Confederate forces suffer irreplaceable casualties in the final months of the war.
- 18th March » American Civil War: The Congress of the Confederate States adjourns for the last time.
- 19th March » American Civil War: The Battle of Bentonville begins. By the end of the battle two days later, Confederate forces had retreated from Four Oaks, North Carolina.
- 25th March » American Civil War: In Virginia, Confederate States of America Confederate forces temporarily capture Battle of Fort Stedman Fort Stedman from the Union (American Civil War) Union.
- 29th March » American Civil War: Federal forces under Major General Philip Sheridan move to flank Confederate forces under Robert E. Lee as the Appomattox Campaign begins.
- 1st April » American Civil War: Battle of Five Forks.
- 2nd April » American Civil War: The Siege of Petersburg is broken United States called Union troops Third Battle of Petersburg known as capture the trenches around Petersburg, Virginia, forcing Confederate General Robert E. Lee to retreat.
- 2nd April » American Civil War: President of the Confederate States known as Confederate President Jefferson Davis and most of his Cabinet (government) named Cabinet flee the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia.
- 3rd April » American Civil War: Union (American Civil War) or Union forces capture Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederate States of America.
- 4th April » American Civil War: A day after United States known as Union forces capture Richmond, Virginia, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln visits the Confederate States of America known as Confederate capital.
- 9th April » American Civil War: Robert E. Lee surrenders the Army of Northern Virginia (26,765 troops) to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, effectively ending the war.
- 12th April » American Civil War: Mobile, Alabama, falls to the Union (American Civil War) called Union Army.
- 14th April » United States Secretary of State e.g U.S. Secretary of State William H. Seward and his family are attacked in his home by Lewis Powell (assassin) called Lewis Powell.
- 15th April » Abraham Lincoln dies after being shot the previous evening by actor John Wilkes Booth.
- 26th April » American Civil War: Confederate States of America Confederate General officers in the Confederate States Army General Joseph E. Johnston surrenders his army to General (United States) General William Tecumseh Sherman at the Bennett Place near Durham, Nort
- 26th April » Union (American Civil War) named Union cavalry troopers corner and shoot dead John Wilkes Booth, Abraham Lincoln assassination called assassin of President Lincoln, in Virginia.
- 27th April » The steamboat ss Sultana , carrying 2,400 passengers, explodes and sinks in the Mississippi River, killing 1,700, most of whom are Union (American Civil War) Union survivors of the Andersonville Prison Andersonville and Cahaba Prisons.
- 1st May » The Empire of Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay sign the Treaty of the Triple Alliance.
- 5th May » In North Bend, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati), the first train robbery in the United States takes place.
- 10th May » American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is captured by Union (American Civil War) e.g Union troops near Irwinville, Georgia.
- 12th May » American Civil War: The Battle of Palmito Ranch: The first day of the last major land action to take place during the Civil War, resulting in a Confederate victory.
- 17th May » The International Telegraph Union (later the International Telecommunication Union) is established in Paris.
- 25th May » In Mobile, Alabama, 300 are killed when an Mobile magazine explosion called ordnance depot explodes.
- 26th May » American Civil War: the Confederate States of America e.g Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi division, is the last full general of the Confederate Army to surrender, at Galveston, Texas.
- 11th June » The Naval Battle of Riachuelo is fought on the rivulet Riachuelo (Argentina), between the Paraguayan Navy on one side and the Brazilian Navy on the other. The Brazilian victory was crucial for the later success of the Treaty of the Triple Alliance called
- 19th June » Over two years after the Emancipation Proclamation, slaves in Galveston, Texas, United States, are finally informed of their freedom. The anniversary is still officially celebrated in Texas and 41 other contiguous states as Juneteenth.
- 23rd June » American Civil War: at Fort Towson in the Oklahoma Territory, Confederate States of America or Confederate, Brigadier General (CSA) Brigadier general or Brigadier General Stand Watie surrenders the last significant rebel army.
- 28th June » The Army of the Potomac is disbanded.
- 7th July » American Civil War: four conspirators in the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln are hanged.
- 14th July » First ascent of the Matterhorn by Edward Whymper and party, four of whom die on the descent.
- 21st July » In the market square of Springfield, Missouri, Wild Bill Hickok Wild Bill Hickok – Davis Tutt shootout or shoots and kills Davis Tutt in what is regarded as the first western showdown.
- 27th July » Y Wladfa known as Welsh settlers arrive at Chubut River named Chubut in Argentina.
- 30th July » The steamboat 'Brother Jonathan (steamer) e.g Brother Jonathan' sinks off the coast of Crescent City, California, killing 225 passengers, the deadliest shipwreck on the Pacific Coast of the U.S. at the time.
- 31st July » The first Narrow gauge railway or narrow gauge mainline railway in the world opens at Grandchester, Queensland, Australia.
- 11th October » Paul Bogle led hundreds of black men and women in a march in Jamaica, starting the Morant Bay rebellion.
- 6th November » American Civil War: ship e.g CSS named Shenandoah is the last Confederate combat unit to surrender after circumnavigating the globe on a cruise on which it sank or captured 37 unarmed merchant vessels.
- 10th November » Major Henry Wirz, the superintendent of Andersonville, Georgia History a prison camp in Andersonville, Georgia, is hanging hanged, becoming the only American Civil War soldier execution (legal) executed for war crimes.
- 11th November » Treaty of Sinchula is signed by which Bhutan cedes the areas east of the Teesta River to the British East India Company.
- 26th November » Battle of Papudo: A Spain known as Spanish navy schooner is defeated by a Chilean corvette north of Valparaiso, Chile.
- 1st December » Shaw University, the first historically black university in the southern United States, is founded in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 5th December » Chincha Islands War: Peru allies with Chile against Spain.
- 6th December » The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, banning slavery.
- 17th December » First performance of the Symphony No. 8 (Schubert) or Unfinished Symphony by Franz Schubert.
- 24th December » The Ku Klux Klan is formed.
Historical events for the year 1865 by month