What Happened In History Year 1911
Historical Events for the Year 1911
- 1st January » Northern Territory is separated from South Australia and transferred to Commonwealth control.
- 2nd January » A Siege of Sidney Street known as gun battle in the East End of London left two dead and sparked a political row over the involvement of then-Home Secretary Winston Churchill.
- 3rd January » A 1911 Kebin earthquake called magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan.
- 12th January » The University of the Philippines College of Law is formally established; three future President of the Philippines e.g Philippine presidents are among the first enrollees.
- 21st January » The first Monte Carlo Rally takes place.
- 24th January » Japanese anarchist Shūsui Kōtoku is hanged for treason in a case now considered a miscarriage of justice.
- 26th January » Glenn H. Curtiss flies the first successful American seaplane.
- 30th January » The destroyer USS Terry DD-25 6 makes the first airplane rescue at sea saving the life of James McCurdy 10 miles from Havana, Cuba.
- 30th January » The Canadian Naval Service becomes the Royal Canadian Navy.
- 18th February » The first official flight with air mail takes place from Allahabad, United Provinces of Agra and Oudh United Provinces, British India (now India), when Henri Pequet, a 23-year-old pilot, delivers 6,500 letters to Naini, about Convert 10 km mi away.
- 25th March » In New York City, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire kills 146 garment workers.
- 29th March » The M1911 .45 ACP pistol becomes the official U.S. Army side arm.
- 6th April » During the Battle of Deçiq, Ded Gjo Luli e.g Dedë Gjon Luli Dedvukaj, leader of the Malësori Albanians, raises the Albanian flag in the town of Tuzi, Montenegro, for the first time after George Kastrioti (Skenderbeg).
- 8th April » Dutch people or Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes discovers superconductivity.
- 27th April » Following the resignation and death of William P. Frye, a Presidents pro tempore of the United States Senate, 1911-1913 called compromise is reached to rotate the office of President pro tempore of the United States Senate.
- 15th May » In 'Standard Oil Company of New Jersey v. United States', the Supreme Court of the United States named United States Supreme Court declares Standard Oil to be an "unreasonable" monopoly under the Sherman Antitrust Act and orders the company to be broken u
- 21st May » President of Mexico Porfirio Díaz and the revolutionary Francisco Madero sign the Treaty of Ciudad Juárez to put an end to the fighting between the forces of both men, concluding the initial phase of the Mexican Revolution.
- 23rd May » The New York Public Library is dedicated.
- 30th May » At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first Indianapolis 500 ends with Ray Harroun in his 'Marmon Motor Car Company e.g Marmon Wasp' becoming the first winner of the 500-mile auto race.
- 31st May » The hull of the ocean liner RMS named Titanic is launched.
- 31st May » The President of Mexico Porfirio Díaz flees the country during the Mexican Revolution.
- 16th June » IBM founded as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company in Endicott, New York.
- 16th June » A 772 gram stony meteorite strikes the earth near Kilbourn, Wisconsin damaging a barn.
- 19th June » the Norwegian football club Molde FK was founded.
- 22nd June » George V of the United Kingdom George V and Mary of Teck are crowned List of British monarchs King and List of British consorts Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1st July » Germany despatches the gunship 'SMS Panther called Panther' to Morocco, sparking the Agadir Crisis.
- 4th July » A 1911 Eastern North America heat wave e.g massive heat wave strikes the northeastern United States, killing 380 people in eleven days and breaking temperature records in several cities.
- 7th July » The United States, Great Britain, Japan, and Russia sign the North Pacific Fur Seal Convention of 1911 banning open-water seal hunting, the first international treaty to address wildlife preservation issues.
- 14th July » Harry Atwood, an exhibition pilot for the Wright Brothers lands his airplane at the South Lawn (White House) named South Lawn of the White House. He is later awarded a Gold medal from U.S. President William Howard Taft for this feat.
- 24th July » Hiram Bingham III re-discovers Machu Picchu, "the Lost City of the Inca Empire or Incas".
- 21st August » The 'Mona Lisa' is art theft e.g stolen by a Musée du Louvre named Louvre employee.
- 29th August » Ishi, considered the last Native Americans in the United States known as Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 1st September » The armored cruiser Greek cruiser Georgios Averof known as 'Georgios Averof' is commissioned into the Hellenic Navy called Greek Navy. It now serves as a museum ship.
- 7th September » French poet Guillaume Apollinaire is arrested and put in jail on suspicion of stealing the 'Mona Lisa' from the Louvre museum.
- 18th September » Russian Premier Pyotr Stolypin is shot at the Kiev Opera House.
- 23rd September » Pilot Earle Ovington makes the first official airmail delivery in America under the authority of the United States Post Office Department
- 25th September » Ground is broken for Fenway Park in Boston
- 25th September » An explosion of badly degraded propellant charges on board the French battleship Liberté or French battleship 'Liberté' detonates the forward ammunition magazine (artillery) named magazines and destroys the ship.
- 29th September » Italy declares Italo-Turkish War named war on the Ottoman Empire.
- 5th October » The Kowloon–Canton Railway (split into MTR East Rail Line and Guangshen Railway now) commences service between Kowloon and Guangzhou called Canton.
- 9th October » An Wuchang Uprising Revolutionary groups and a bombing incident e.g accidental bomb explosion in Hankou District e.g Hankou, Wuhan, China leads to the ultimate fall of the Qing Empire
- 10th October » The Wuchang Uprising leads to the demise of Qing Dynasty, the last Imperial court in China, and the founding of the Republic of China (1912–1949) e.g Republic of China.
- 13th October » Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, becomes the first Governor-General of Canada of royal descent.
- 23rd October » First use of aircraft in war: An Italy or Italian pilot takes off from Libya to observe Turkey named Turkish army lines during the Turco-Italian War.
- 24th October » Orville Wright, remains in the air 9 minutes and 45 seconds in a Wright Glider, at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
- 1st November » The first dropping of a bomb from an aircraft in combat, during the Italo-Turkish War.
- 3rd November » Chevrolet officially enters the automobile market in competition with the Ford Model T.
- 5th November » After declaring war on the Ottoman Empire on September 29, 1911, Italy annexes Tripoli, Libya named Tripoli and Cyrenaica.
- 11th November » Many cities in the Midwestern United States The Great Blue Norther of 11/11/11 or break their record highs and lows on the same day as a strong cold front rolls through.
- 17th November » Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated, which is the first black Greek-lettered organization founded at an American Historically black colleges and universities named historically black college or university, was founded on the campus of Howard University
- 19th November » The Doom Bar in Cornwall claimed two ships, 'Island Maid' and 'Angele', the latter killing the entire crew except the captain.
- 9th December » A Cross Mountain Mine disaster e.g mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners despite rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 10th December » The first transcontinental flight across the United States is completed. Calbraith Perry Rodgers began the flight on 17 September 1911, taking off from Sheepshead Bay, New York.
- 12th December » Delhi replaces Calcutta as the capital of India.
- 12th December » King George V of the United Kingdom named George V and Mary of Teck are enthroned as Emperor of India e.g Emperor and Empress of India.
- 24th December » Lackawanna Cut-Off railway line opens in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- 27th December » "Jana Gana Mana", the national anthem of India, is first sung in the Calcutta Session of the Indian National Congress.
- 29th December » Mongolia gains independence from the Qing Dynasty, enthroning The Bogd Khan known as 9th Jebtsundamba Khutughtu as List of Mongol Khans e.g Khagan of Mongolia.
- 29th December » Sun Yat-sen becomes the provisional President of the Republic of China (1912–1949) or Republic of China; he formally takes office on January 1, 1912.
Historical events for the year 1911 by month