What Happened In History Year 1931
Historical Events for the Year 1931
- 6th January » Thomas Edison submits his last patent application.
- 21st January » Sir Isaac Isaacs is sworn in as the first Australian-born Governor-General of Australia.
- 13th February » New Delhi becomes the capital of India.
- 20th February » The Congress of the United States approves the construction of the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge by the state of California.
- 3rd March » The United States adopts 'The Star-Spangled Banner' as its national anthem.
- 5th March » The British Viceroy of British Raj called India, Governor-General Edward Frederick Lindley Wood and Mohandas Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi) Gandhi–Irwin Pact or sign an agreement envisaging the release of political prisoners and allowing salt to be freely used b
- 11th March » 'Ready for Labour and Defence of the USSR', abbreviated as 'GTO', is introduced in the Soviet Union.
- 15th March » SS called Viking explodes off Newfoundland and Labrador named Newfoundland, killing 27 of the 147 on board.
- 19th March » Gambling is legalized in Nevada.
- 23rd March » Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar are hanged for murder during the Indian struggle for independence.
- 25th March » The Scottsboro Boys are arrested in Alabama and charged with rape.
- 26th March » SwissAir is founded as the national airline of Switzerland.
- 26th March » Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union is founded in Vietnam.
- 31st March » An 1931 Nicaragua earthquake named earthquake destroys Managua, Nicaragua, killing 2,000.
- 31st March » TWA Flight 599 crashes near Bazaar, Kansas, killing eight, including University of Notre Dame head football coach Knute Rockne.
- 14th April » The Cortes Generales known as Spanish Cortes deposes King Alfonso XIII of Spain called Alfonso XIII and proclaims the Second Spanish Republic.
- 14th April » First edition of the Highway Code published in Great Britain.
- 1st May » The Empire State Building is dedicated in New York City.
- 14th May » Ådalen shootings: Five people are killed in Ådalen, Sweden, as soldiers open fire on an unarmed trade union demonstration.
- 29th May » Michele Schirru, a citizen of the United States, is executed by Italian military firing squad for intent to kill Benito Mussolini.
- 23rd June » Wiley Post and Harold Gatty take off from Roosevelt Field, Long Island in an attempt to circumnavigate the world in a single-engine plane.
- 1st July » United Airlines begins service (as Boeing Air Transport).
- 16th July » Emperor of Ethiopia called Emperor Haile Selassie I signs the 1931 Constitution of Ethiopia called first constitution of Ethiopia.
- 24th July » A fire at a home for the elderly in Pittsburgh or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania kills 48 people.
- 31st July » New York City e.g New York, New York experimental television station W2XAB (now known as WCBS-TV known as WCBS) begins broadcasts.
- 24th August » France and the Soviet Union sign a neutrality/no attack treaty.
- 28th August » France and the Soviet Union sign a treaty of non-aggression.
- 18th September » The Mukden Incident gives Japan the pretext to invade and occupy Manchuria.
- 30th September » Start of Voortrekkers (youth organisation) named "Die Voortrekkers" youth movement for Afrikaners in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- 1st October » The George Washington Bridge linking New Jersey and New York opens.
- 17th October » Al Capone convicted of income tax tax evasion named evasion.
- 24th October » The George Washington Bridge opens to public traffic.
- 7th November » The Chinese Soviet Republic is proclaimed on the anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution called October Revolution.
- 9th December » The Constituent Cortes approves a Spanish Constitution of 1931 e.g constitution which establishes the Second Spanish Republic.
- 11th December » Statute of Westminster 1931: The Parliament of the United Kingdom British Parliament establishes legislative equality between the United Kingdom UK and the Dominions of the Commonwealth of Nations Commonwealth—Australia, Canada, Dominion of Newfound
Historical events for the year 1931 by month