What Happened In History Year 1934
Historical Events for the Year 1934
- 1st January » Alcatraz Island becomes a United States federal prison.
- 1st January » Nazi Germany passes the "Nazi eugenics called Law for the Prevention of Genetically Diseased Offspring".
- 13th January » The Candidate of Sciences degree is established in the Soviet Union.
- 26th January » The Apollo Theater reopens in Harlem, New York City.
- 26th January » German–Polish Non-Aggression Pact is signed.
- 28th January » The first ski tow in the United States begins operation in Vermont.
- 2nd February » The Export-Import Bank of the United States is incorporated.
- 9th February » The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 12th February » The Austrian Civil War begins.
- 12th February » In Spain the national council of 'Juntas de Ofensiva Nacional-Sindicalista' decides to merge the movement with the 'Falange or Falange Española'.
- 13th February » The Soviet Union named Soviet steamship 'Cheliuskin (ship) e.g Cheliuskin' sinks in the Arctic Ocean.
- 16th February » The Austrian Civil War ends with the defeat of the Social Democratic Party of Austria or Social Democrats and the Republican Schutzbund.
- 23rd February » Leopold III of Belgium or Leopold III becomes King of Belgium.
- 12th March » Konstantin Päts and General Johan Laidoner stage a coup in Estonia, and ban all political parties.
- 24th March » United States Congress passes the Tydings–McDuffie Act, allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing Commonwealth of the Philippines named commonwealth.
- 26th March » The United Kingdom driving test or driving test is introduced in the United Kingdom.
- 12th April » The strongest surface wind gust in the world at 231 mph, is measured on the summit of Mount Washington (New Hampshire) named Mount Washington, New Hampshire.
- 12th April » The U.S. Auto-Lite Strike begins, culminating in a five-day melee between Ohio National Guard troops and 6,000 strike action or strikers and picketers.
- 5th May » The first Three Stooges short, 'Woman Haters,' is released.
- 15th May » Kārlis Ulmanis establishes an authoritarian government in Latvia.
- 21st May » Oskaloosa, Iowa, becomes the first municipality in the United States to fingerprint all of its citizens.
- 23rd May » The American Bank robbery named bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde are ambushed by police and killed in Black Lake, Louisiana.
- 23rd May » The Auto-Lite strike culminates in the "Battle of Toledo", a five-day melée between 1,300 troops of the Ohio National Guard and 6,000 picketers.
- 28th May » Near Callander, Ontario, Canada, the Dionne quintuplets are born to Oliva and Elzire Dionne; they will be the first Multiple birth or quintuplets to survive Infant called infancy.
- 6th June » New Deal: the U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Securities Act of 1933 into law, establishing the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- 9th June » Donald Duck makes his debut in 'The Wise Little Hen'.
- 15th June » The U.S. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is founded.
- 26th June » President of the United States e.g President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Federal Credit Union Act, which establishes credit unions.
- 2nd July » The Night of the Long Knives ends with the death of Ernst Röhm.
- 4th July » Leo Szilard patented the chain-reaction design for the atomic bomb.
- 5th July » "1934 West Coast waterfront strike e.g Bloody Thursday" Police open fire on striking longshoremen in San Francisco.
- 11th July » Engelbert Zaschka of Germany flies his large human-powered aircraft, the 'Zaschka Human-Power Aircraft', about 20 meters at Berlin Tempelhof Airport without assisted take off.
- 20th July » Labor unrest in the U.S.: Police in Minneapolis fire upon striking Trucker known as truck drivers, during the Minneapolis Teamsters Strike of 1934, killing two and wounding sixty-seven.
- 20th July » 1934 West Coast waterfront strike: In Seattle Seattle, Washington, police fire tear gas on and club 2,000 striking stevedore longshoremen. The governor of Oregon calls out the National Guard to break a strike on the Portland, Oregon Portland docks.
- 25th July » The Nazi Germany e.g Nazis assassinate Austrian Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss in a failed coup attempt.
- 2nd August » Gleichschaltung: Adolf Hitler becomes 'Führer' of Germany following the death of President Paul von Hindenburg.
- 11th August » The first civilian prisoners arrive at the Federal prison on Alcatraz Island.
- 19th August » The first All-American Soap Box Derby is held in Dayton, Ohio.
- 19th August » The creation of the position Führer is approved by the Germany known as German electorate with 89.9% of the popular vote.
- 22nd August » Bill Woodfull of Australia national cricket team named Australia becomes the only cricket captain to twice regain The Ashes.
- 1st September » SMJK Sam Tet is founded by Father Fourgs from the St. Michael Church, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.
- 8th September » Off the New Jersey coast, a fire aboard the passenger liner SS Morro Castle 1930 6 kills 135 people.
- 18th September » The USSR is admitted to the League of Nations.
- 19th September » Bruno Hauptmann is arrested for the Lindbergh kidnapping known as kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh, Jr..
- 21st September » A large typhoon hits western Honshū, Japan, killing 3,036 people.
- 22nd September » An Gresford disaster called explosion takes place at Gresford Colliery in Wales, leading to the deaths of 266 miners and rescuers.
- 26th September » Steamship RMS called Queen Mary is launched.
- 9th October » Regicide at Marseille: The assassination of King Alexander I of Yugoslavia and Louis Barthou, Foreign Minister of France.
- 16th October » Chinese Communism e.g Communists begin the Long March; it ended a year and four days later, by which time Mao Zedong had regained his title as party chairman.
- 22nd October » In East Liverpool, Ohio, Federal Bureau of Investigation agents shoot and kill notorious bank robbery known as bank robber Pretty Boy Floyd.
- 6th November » Memphis, Tennessee becomes the first major city to join the Tennessee Valley Authority.
- 11th November » The Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne, Australia is opened.
- 23rd November » An Anglo-Ethiopian boundary commission in the Ogaden discovers an Italian garrison at Walwal, well within Ethiopian territory. This leads to the Abyssinia Crisis.
- 30th November » The 'LNER Class A3 4472 Flying Scotsman' becomes the first steam locomotive to be authenticated as reaching 100 mph.
- 1st December » In the Soviet Union, Politburo member Sergei Kirov is shot dead by Leonid Nikolaev at the Communist Party headquarters in Saint Petersburg called Leningrad.
- 5th December » Abyssinia Crisis: History of Italy as a monarchy and in the World Wars named Italian troops attack Wal Wal in Ethiopia e.g Abyssinia, taking four days to capture the city.
- 11th December » Bill W. e.g Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, takes his last drink and enters treatment for the last time.
- 29th December » Japan renounces the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 and the London Naval Treaty of 1930.
Historical events for the year 1934 by month