What Happened In History Year 1947
Historical Events for the Year 1947
- 1st January » The American and British occupation zones in Germany, after World War II, merge to form the Bizone, that later became West Germany.
- 1st January » The Canadian Citizenship Act 1946 comes into effect, converting British subjects into Canadian citizens. Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King becomes the first Canadian citizen.
- 3rd January » Proceedings of the United States Congress called U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- 6th January » Pan American World Airways or Pan American Airlines becomes the first commercial airline to schedule a flight around the world.
- 9th January » Elizabeth "Betty" Short, the Black Dahlia, is last seen alive.
- 22nd January » KTLA, the first commercial television station west of the Mississippi River, begins operation in Hollywood, California.
- 24th January » Greek banker Dimitrios Maximos becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- 25th January » Thomas T. Goldsmith, Jr. or Thomas Goldsmith Jr. files a patent for a "Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device", the first ever electronic game.
- 3rd February » The lowest temperature in North America is recorded in Snag, Yukon.
- 10th February » Italy cedes most of Venezia Giulia to Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia e.g Yugoslavia.
- 12th February » A Meteoroid Meteor e.g meteor creates an impact crater in Sikhote-Alin, in the Soviet Union.
- 12th February » Christian Dior unveils a "Christian Dior S.A. The "New Look" named New Look", helping Paris regain its position as the capital of the fashion world.
- 18th February » First Indochina War: The French Battle of Hanoi called gain complete control of Hanoi after forcing the Viet Minh to withdraw to mountains.
- 21st February » In New York City, Edwin Land demonstrates the first "instant camera", the Polaroid Land Camera, to a meeting of the Optical Society of America.
- 23rd February » The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is founded.
- 25th February » The State of Prussia ceases to exist.
- 28th February » 228 Incident: In Taiwan, civil disorder is put down with the loss of an estimated 30,000 civilians.
- 1st March » The International Monetary Fund begins financial operations.
- 8th March » Thirteen thousand troops sent by the Kuomintang government of Republic of China or China arrive in Taiwan after the 228 Incident and launch crackdowns which kill thousands of people, including many elites. This turns into a major root of the Taiwan indepe
- 12th March » The Truman Doctrine is proclaimed to help stem the spread of Communism.
- 17th March » First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- 25th March » An 1947 Centralia mine disaster known as explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111.
- 29th March » Malagasy Uprising against French colonial rule in Madagascar.
- 1st April » Paul of Greece named Paul becomes king of Greece, on the death of his childless elder brother, George II of Greece or George II.
- 6th April » The first Tony Awards are presented for theatrical achievement.
- 9th April » The Glazier–Higgins–Woodward tornadoes kill 181 and injure 970 in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
- 16th April » Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- 16th April » Bernard Baruch coins the term "Cold War" to describe the relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union.
- 28th April » Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set out from Peru on the 'Kon-Tiki' to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia.
- 30th April » In Nevada, the Boulder Dam is renamed the Hoover Dam a second time.
- 1st May » Portella della Ginestra massacre against May Day celebrations in Sicily by the bandit and separatist leader Salvatore Giuliano where 11 persons are killed and 33 wounded.
- 3rd May » New post-war Constitution of Japan e.g Japanese constitution goes into effect.
- 22nd May » Cold War: in an effort to fight the spread of Communism, the U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs an act into law that will later be called the Truman Doctrine. The act grants United States dollar known as $400 million in military and economic aid to
- 5th June » Marshall Plan: In a speech at Harvard University, the United States Secretary of State George Marshall calls for economic aid to war-torn Europe.
- 10th June » Saab Automobile named Saab produces its first automobile.
- 24th June » Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely reported Kenneth Arnold Unidentified Flying Object Sighting named UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington (state) called Washington.
- 25th June » 'The Diary of a Young Girl' (better known as 'The Diary of Anne Frank') is published.
- 1st July » The Philippine Air Force is established.
- 4th July » The "Indian Independence Bill" is presented before the House of Commons of the United Kingdom e.g British House of Commons, proposing the independence of the Presidencies and provinces of British India or Provinces of British India into two sovereign coun
- 6th July » The AK-47 goes into production in the Soviet Union.
- 7th July » The Roswell incident, the (supposed) crash of an Extraterrestrial life called alien spaceship near Roswell, New Mexico known as Roswell in New Mexico.
- 8th July » Reports are broadcast that a Unidentified flying object or UFO crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico in what became known as the Roswell UFO incident.
- 10th July » Muhammad Ali Jinnah is recommended as the first Governor-General of Pakistan by the British Prime Minister, Clement Attlee.
- 11th July » The 'SS Exodus or Exodus 1947' heads to Palestine from France.
- 19th July » The Prime Minister of the shadow Burma Burmese government, Bogyoke Aung San and 6 of his Cabinet (government) cabinet and 2 non-cabinet members are assassination assassinated by Galon U Saw.
- 19th July » Korean politician Lyuh Woon-hyung is assassinated.
- 26th July » Cold War: U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act of 1947 into Law of the United States e.g United States law creating the Central Intelligence Agency, United States Department of Defense, United States Air Force, Joint Chiefs of St
- 2nd August » A British South American Airways Avro Lancastrian airliner BSAA Star Dust accident known as crashes into a mountain during a flight from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Santiago, Chile. The wreckage would not be found for over 50 years.
- 4th August » The Supreme Court of Japan is established.
- 7th August » The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai e.g Bombay Municipal Corporation formally takes over the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport named Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).
- 14th August » Pakistan gains Pakistan Movement known as Independence from the British Empire and joins the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 15th August » India gains Indian independence movement Independence from the British Empire British British Raj Indian Empire after near 190 years of Crown rule and joins the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 15th August » Founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah is sworn in as first Governor-General of Pakistan in Karachi.
- 17th August » The Radcliffe Line, the border between Dominion of India and Dominion of Pakistan is revealed.
- 9th September » First case of a computer bug being found: a moth lodges in a relay of a Harvard Mark II computer at Harvard University.
- 15th September » RCA releases the 12AX7 vacuum tube.
- 15th September » 1940–49 Pacific typhoon seasons called Typhoon Kathleen hit the Kanto Region in Japan killing 1,077.
- 16th September » 1940–49 Pacific typhoon seasons Typhoon Kathleen or Typhoon Kathleen hits Saitama, Tokyo and Tone River area, at least 1,930 killed.
- 18th September » The United States Air Force becomes an independent branch of the United States armed forces.
- 18th September » The National Security Council and the Central Intelligence Agency are established in the United States under the National Security Act of 1947 e.g National Security Act.
- 30th September » Pakistan and Yemen join the United Nations.
- 30th September » The World Series, featuring the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers, is television or televised for the first time.
- 1st October » The North American F-86 Sabre flies for the first time.
- 5th October » The first televised White House address is given by President of the United States or U.S. President Harry S. Truman.
- 14th October » Captain Chuck Yeager of the U.S. Air Force flies a Bell X-1 rocket-powered experimental aircraft, the 'Glamorous Glennis', faster than the speed of sound - over the high desert of Southern California - and becomes the first aviator known as pilot and the
- 20th October » The House Un-American Activities Committee begins its investigation into Communism called Communist infiltration of Hollywood, resulting in Hollywood blacklist e.g a blacklist that prevents some from working in the industry for years.
- 20th October » United States–Pakistan relations or United States of America and Islamic Republic of Pakistan establish diplomatic relations for the first time.
- 24th October » Walt Disney testifies before the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists.
- 26th October » The Maharaja of Kashmir and Jammu (princely state) known as Kashmir and Jammu agrees to allow his kingdom to join India.
- 30th October » The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which is the foundation of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), is founded.
- 2nd November » In California, designer Howard Hughes performs the maiden (and only) flight of the Spruce Goose or H-4 The Hercules; the largest fixed-wing aircraft ever built.
- 6th November » 'Meet the Press' makes its television debut (the show went to a weekly schedule on September 12, 1948).
- 13th November » The Soviet Union completes development of the AK-47, one of the first proper assault rifles.
- 17th November » The Screen Actors Guild implements an anti-Communism called Communist loyalty oath.
- 17th November » American scientists John Bardeen and Walter Houser Brattain observe the basic principles of the transistor, a key element for the electronics revolution of the 20th century.
- 20th November » Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom known as The Princess Elizabeth marries Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh known as Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, who becomes the Duke of Edinburgh, at Westminster Abbey in London.
- 25th November » Second Red Scare known as Red Scare: The "Hollywood Ten" are blacklisted by Hollywood movie studios.
- 25th November » New Zealand ratifies the Statute of Westminster 1931 e.g Statute of Westminster and thus becomes independent of legislative control by the United Kingdom.
- 29th November » United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine called Partition Plan: The United Nations General Assembly approves a plan for the partition of Mandatory Palestine called Palestine.
- 29th November » First Indochina War: French forces carry out a massacre at Mỹ Trạch massacre e.g Mỹ Trạch, Vietnam.
- 30th November » 1947–48 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine begins, leading up to the creation of the state of Israel.
- 2nd December » Jerusalem Riots of 1947: Riots break out in Jerusalem in response to the United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine.
- 6th December » The Everglades National Park in Florida is dedicated.
- 14th December » Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, home of Real Madrid C.F., staged its first football match.
- 17th December » First flight of the Boeing B-47 Stratojet strategic bomber.
- 22nd December » The Constituent assembly called Constituent Assembly of Italy approves the Constitution of Italy.
- 23rd December » The transistor is first demonstrated at Bell Labs known as Bell Laboratories.
- 25th December » The Constitution of the Republic of China goes into effect.
- 30th December » King Michael I of Romania is forced to abdicate by the Soviet Union-backed Communist government of Romania.
Historical events for the year 1947 by month