What Happened In History Year 1950
Historical Events for the Year 1950
- 1st January » Standard practice uses this day as the origin of the age scale Before Present
- 14th January » The first prototype of the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 called MiG-17 makes its maiden flight.
- 21st January » American lawyer and government official Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury.
- 23rd January » The Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.
- 26th January » The Constitution of India coming into force or comes into force, forming a republic. Rajendra Prasad is sworn in as its first President of India. Observed as Republic Day (India) called Republic Day in India.
- 31st January » President of the United States e.g President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the hydrogen bomb.
- 8th February » The Stasi, the secret police of East Germany, is established.
- 9th February » Second Red Scare: United States Senate or Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being filled with Communism called Communists.
- 1st March » Cold War: Klaus Fuchs is convicted of spying for the Soviet Union by disclosing top secret atomic bomb data.
- 7th March » Cold War: The Soviet Union issues a statement denying that Klaus Fuchs served as a Soviet Union called Soviet spy.
- 17th March » Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announce the creation of element 98, which they name "californium".
- 8th April » India and Pakistan sign the Liaquat-Nehru Pact.
- 19th April » Argentina becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires Convention named Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- 27th April » Apartheid: In South Africa, the Group Areas Act is passed formally segregating races.
- 28th April » Bhumibol Adulyadej marries Queen Sirikit after their quiet engagement in Lausanne, Switzerland on July 19, 1949.
- 1st May » Guam is organized as a United States Commonwealth (U.S. insular area) e.g commonwealth.
- 5th May » Bhumibol Adulyadej is crowned King Rama IX of Thailand.
- 9th May » Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the "Schuman declaration", is considered by some people to be the begin
- 13th May » The first round of the Formula One World Championship is held at Silverstone Circuit e.g Silverstone.
- 19th May » A barge containing munitions destined for Pakistan explodes in the harbor at South Amboy, New Jersey, devastating the city.
- 19th May » Egypt announces that the Suez Canal is closed to Israeli ships and commerce.
- 25th May » Public Transport: Green Hornet disaster. A Chicago Surface Lines streetcar crashes into a fuel truck, killing 33.
- 29th May » The 'St. Roch (ship) St. Roch', the first ship to Circumnavigation circumnavigate North America, arrives in Halifax (former city) Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 3rd June » The first successful ascent of an Eight-thousander; the summit of Annapurna is reached by Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal.
- 8th June » Sir Thomas Blamey becomes the only Australian-born Field Marshal in Australian history.
- 25th June » The Korean War begins with the invasion of South Korea by North Korea.
- 27th June » The United States decides to send troops to fight in the Korean War.
- 28th June » Korean War: Seoul is captured by North Korean troops.
- 28th June » Korean War: Suspected communist sympathizers, argued to be between 100,000 and 200,000 are executed in the Bodo League massacre.
- 28th June » Korean War: North Korean Army conducted Seoul National University Hospital Massacre.
- 2nd July » The Golden Pavilion at Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto, Japan arson e.g burns down.
- 4th July » Radio Free Europe first broadcasts.
- 5th July » Korean War: Task Force Smith: American and North Korean forces first clash, in the Battle of Osan.
- 5th July » Zionism: The Knesset passes the Law of Return which grants all Jews the right to immigrate to Israel.
- 11th July » Pakistan joins the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank.
- 14th July » Korean War: North Korean troops initiate the Battle of Taejon.
- 16th July » Chaplain–Medic massacre: American POWs were massacred by North Korean Army.
- 20th July » Cold War: In Philadelphia, Harry Gold pleads guilty to spying for the Soviet Union by passing secrets from atomic scientist Klaus Fuchs.
- 24th July » Cape Canaveral Air Force Station begins operations with the launch of a Bumper (rocket) called Bumper rocket.
- 29th July » Korean War: After four days, the No Gun Ri Massacre ends when the US Army 7th Cavalry Regiment is withdrawn.
- 18th August » Julien Lahaut, the chairman of the Communist Party of Belgium is assassinated by far-right elements.
- 20th August » Korean War: United Nations Battle of Taegu repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Nakdonggang Naktong River and assault the city of Daegu Taegu.
- 22nd August » Althea Gibson becomes the first black Competition named competitor in international tennis.
- 24th August » Edith Sampson becomes the first black U.S. delegate to the United Nations.
- 29th August » Korean War: British people or British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- 4th September » Darlington Raceway is the site of the inaugural Southern 500 (1950–2004) called Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
- 15th September » Korean War: United States forces Battle of Inchon e.g land at Inchon
- 23rd September » Korean War: The Battle of Hill 282 the first US friendly-fire incident on British military personnel since World War II occurred.
- 24th September » Forest fires black out the sun over portions of Canada and New England. A Blue moon Visibly blue moon or blue moon is seen as far away as Europe.
- 26th September » United Nations troops recapture Seoul from North Korean forces.
- 26th September » Indonesia is admitted to the United Nations.
- 28th September » Indonesia joins the United Nations.
- 2nd October » 'Peanuts' by Charles M. Schulz is first published.
- 3rd October » Korean War: The First Battle of Maryang San, primarily pitting Australian and British forces against communist China, begins.
- 9th October » Goyang Geumjeong Cave Massacre started.
- 19th October » Iran becomes the first country to accept technical assistance from the United States under the Point Four Program.
- 21st October » Korean War: Heavy fighting begins between British and Australian forces from the 27th British Commonwealth Brigade and the North Korean 239th Regiment during the Battle of Yongju.
- 30th October » Pope Pius XII witnesses the "Miracle of the Sun" while at the Vatican City named Vatican.
- 1st November » Puerto Rico known as Puerto Rican nationalists Griselio Torresola and Oscar Collazo Truman assassination attempt called attempt to assassinate US President Harry S. Truman at Blair House.
- 1st November » Pope Pius XII claims papal infallibility when he formally dogmatic definition e.g defines the dogma of the Assumption of Mary.
- 8th November » Korean War: United States Air Force Lt. Russell J. Brown, while piloting an F-80 Shooting Star, shoots down two North Korean Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 known as MiG-15s in the first jet aircraft-to-jet aircraft dogfight in history.
- 13th November » General Carlos Delgado Chalbaud, President of Venezuela, is assassinated in Caracas.
- 17th November » Lhamo Dondrub is officially named the 14th Dalai Lama.
- 19th November » US General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes Supreme Commander of NATO called NATO-Europe.
- 21st November » Two Canadian National Railway trains collide in northeastern British Columbia in the Canoe River train crash; the death toll is 21, with 17 of them Canadian troops bound for Korea.
- 24th November » The "Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950 named Storm of the Century", a violent snowstorm, takes shape on this date before paralyzing the northeastern United States and the Appalachians the next day, bringing winds up to 100 mph and sub-zero temperat
- 25th November » The Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950, known at the time as the "Storm of the Century", strikes New England with hurricane force winds resulting in massive forest blow-downs and storm surge damage along the Northeast coast including New York City.
- 9th December » Cold War: Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- 12th December » Paula Ackerman, the first woman appointed to perform rabbinical functions in the United States, leads the congregation in her first services.
- 25th December » The Stone of Scone, traditional coronation stone of British monarchs, is taken from Westminster Abbey by Scotland named Scottish nationalist students. It later turns up in Scotland on April 11, 1951.
Historical events for the year 1950 by month