What Happened In History Year 1991
Historical Events for the Year 1991
- 5th January » Georgia (country) named Georgian forces enter Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia or South Ossetia, Georgia, opening the 1991–1992 South Ossetia War.
- 9th January » Representatives from the United States and Iraq meet at the Geneva Peace Conference to try to find a peaceful resolution to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.
- 12th January » Gulf War: An act of the U.S. Congress authorizes the use of military force to drive Iraq out of Kuwait.
- 13th January » Soviet Union troops January Events (Lithuania) e.g attack Lithuanian independence supporters in Vilnius, killing 14 people and wounding 1000.
- 15th January » The United Nations deadline for the withdrawal of Iraqi forces from occupied Kuwait expires, preparing the way for the start of Gulf War called Operation Desert Storm.
- 15th January » Elizabeth II, in her capacity as Monarchy of Australia known as Queen of Australia, signs letters patent allowing Australia to become the first Commonwealth realm to institute Victoria Cross for Australia e.g its own Victoria Cross in its honours system.
- 16th January » The Coalition Forces go to war with Iraq, beginning the Gulf War (U.S. Time).
- 17th January » Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm begins early in the morning. Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles into Israel in an unsuccessful bid to provoke Israeli retaliation.
- 17th January » Harald V of Norway Harald V becomes Monarchy of Norway King of Norway on the death of his father, Olav V of Norway Olav V.
- 19th January » Gulf War: Iraq fires a second Scud missile into Israel, causing 15 injuries.
- 22nd January » Gulf War: Three SCUDs and one Patriot missile hit Ramat Gan in Israel, injuring 96 people. Three elderly people die of heart attacks.
- 26th January » Siad Barre called Mohamed Siad Barre is removed from power in Somalia, ending centralized government, and is succeeded by Ali Mahdi Muhammad called Ali Mahdi.
- 29th January » Gulf War: The Battle of Khafji, the first major ground engagement of the war, as well as its deadliest, begins.
- 1st February » A runway collision between USAir Flight 1493 and USAir Flight 1493 e.g SkyWest Flight 5569 at Los Angeles International Airport results in the deaths of 34 people, and injuries to 30 others.
- 9th February » Voters in Lithuania vote for independence.
- 13th February » Gulf War: Two laser-guided "smart bombs" destroy the Amiriyah shelter massacre e.g Amiriyah shelter in Baghdad. Allied forces said the bunker was being used as a military communications outpost, but over 400 Iraqi civilians inside were killed.
- 15th February » The Visegrád group e.g Visegrád Agreement, establishing cooperation to move toward free market economy known as free-market systems, is signed by the leaders of Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland.
- 16th February » Nicaraguan Contras leader Enrique Bermúdez is assassinated in Managua.
- 18th February » The Provisional Irish Republican Army called IRA explodes bombs in the early morning at Paddington station and Victoria station (London) called Victoria station in London.
- 23rd February » Gulf War: Ground troops cross the Saudi Arabian border and enter Iraq, thus beginning the Gulf War Ground campaign or ground phase of the war.
- 25th February » Gulf War: An Iraqi scud missile hits an American military barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia killing 28 United States Army Reserve e.g U.S. Army Reservists from Pennsylvania.
- 25th February » The Warsaw Pact is declared disbanded.
- 26th February » Gulf War: United States Army forces capture the town of Battle of Al Busayyah known as Al Busayyah.
- 27th February » Gulf War: President of the United States or U.S. President George H. W. Bush announces that "Kuwait is liberated".
- 28th February » The first Gulf War ends.
- 2nd March » Battle at Rumaila field or Rumaila Oil Field brings an end to the Gulf War called 1991 Gulf War.
- 3rd March » An amateur video captures the beating of Rodney King by Los Angeles Police Department called Los Angeles police officers.
- 3rd March » In concurrent referenda, 74% of the population of Latvia votes for independence from the Soviet Union, and 83% in Estonia.
- 3rd March » United Airlines Flight 585 crashes on approach into Colorado Springs, Colorado, killing 25.
- 9th March » March 1991 protests in Belgrade called Massive demonstrations are held against Slobodan Milošević in Belgrade.
- 13th March » The United States Department of Justice announces that Exxon has agreed to pay $1 billion for the clean-up of the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska.
- 15th March » The Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany comes into effect, granting full sovereignty to the Federal Republic of Germany.
- 26th March » Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay sign the Treaty of Asunción, establishing Mercosur, the South Common Market.
- 26th March » Five South Korean boys, nicknamed the Frog Boys, disappear while hunting for frogs and are murdered in a case that remains unsolved.
- 26th March » Local self-government is restored after three decades of centralized control in South Korea.
- 2nd April » Rita Johnston becomes the first female Premier (Canada) called Premier of a province (Canada) or Canadian province when she succeeds William Vander Zalm (who had resigned) as Premier of British Columbia.
- 4th April » Senator John Heinz of Pennsylvania and six others are killed when a helicopter collides with their airplane over an elementary school in Merion, Pennsylvania.
- 5th April » An Atlantic Southeast Airlines ASA Embraer EMB 120 EMB 120 crashes in Brunswick, Georgia, killing all 23 aboard including John Tower Sen. John Tower and Sonny Carter Astronaut Sonny Carter.
- 9th April » Georgia (country) e.g Georgia declares independence from the Soviet Union
- 10th April » Italian ferry ship MS Moby Prince 6 collides with an oil tanker in dense fog off Livorno, Italy killing 140.
- 10th April » A South Atlantic tropical cyclone rare tropical cyclone tropical storm develops in the South Atlantic Ocean near Angola; the first to be documented by weather satellite satellites.
- 14th April » The Georgia (country) or Republic of Georgia introduces the post of President of Georgia e.g President after its declaration of independence from the Soviet Union.
- 29th April » A 1991 Bangladesh cyclone cyclone strikes the Chittagong district of southeastern Bangladesh with winds of around convert 155 mph kph, killing at least 138,000 people and leaving as many as 10 million homeless.
- 1st May » Rickey Henderson of the Oakland Athletics steals his 939th base, making him the all-time leader in this category. However, his accomplishment is overshadowed later that evening by Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers (baseball) known as Texas Rangers, when he
- 5th May » A 1991 Washington, D.C. riot e.g riot breaks out in the Mount Pleasant, Washington, D.C. called Mt. Pleasant section of Washington, D.C. after police shoot a Salvadoran man.
- 16th May » Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom addresses a joint session of the United States Congress. She is the first British monarch to address the U.S. Congress.
- 18th May » Northern Somalia declares independence from the rest of Somalia as the Republic of Somaliland but is not recognized by the international community.
- 19th May » Croatians vote for independence in a Croatian independence referendum, 1991 or referendum.
- 21st May » Former Indian Prime Minister of India e.g Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi is assassinated by a female suicide bomber near Chennai called Madras.
- 24th May » Israel conducts Operation Solomon, evacuating Ethiopian Jews to Israel.
- 26th May » Zviad Gamsakhurdia becomes the first elected President of Georgia called President of the Georgia (country) or Republic of Georgia in the post-Soviet era.
- 26th May » Lauda Air Flight 004, a Boeing 767, crashes in an area of western Thailand after a thrust reverser malfunction. All 223 people aboard are killed.
- 3rd June » Mount Unzen erupts in Kyūshū, Japan, killing 43 people, all of them either researchers or journalists.
- 7th June » Mount Pinatubo erupts, generating an ash column convert 7 km mi high.
- 12th June » Russians elect Boris Yeltsin as the president of the republic.
- 12th June » 1991 Kokkadichcholai massacre: the Sri Lankan Army massacres 152 minority Tamil people named Tamil civilians in the village Kokkadichcholai near the eastern province town of Batticaloa, Sri Lanka.
- 15th June » In the Philippines, Mount Pinatubo erupts in the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th Century. In the end, over 800 people die.
- 17th June » Apartheid: The Parliament of South Africa known as South African Parliament repeals the Population Registration Act which required racial classification of all South Africans at birth.
- 19th June » The Soviet occupation of Hungary ends.
- 20th June » The German Bundestag votes to move the capital (political) called capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
- 25th June » Croatia and Slovenia declare their independence from Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia or Yugoslavia.
- 27th June » Slovenia, after declaring independence two days before is invaded by Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia named Yugoslav troops, tanks, and aircraft starting the Ten-Day War.
- 1st July » The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved at a meeting in Prague.
- 7th July » Yugoslav Wars: the Brijuni Agreement or Brioni Agreement ends the Ten-Day War known as ten-day independence war in Slovenia against the rest of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
- 10th July » The South African cricket team is readmitted into the International Cricket Council following the end of Apartheid.
- 10th July » Boris Yeltsin takes office as the first elected President of Russia.
- 22nd July » Jeffrey Dahmer is arrested in Milwaukee after police discover human remains in his apartment.
- 24th July » Manmohan Singh presents his budget speech to the Indian Parliament which led to economic liberalisation in India
- 4th August » The Greek cruise ship Ship MTS Oceanos sinks off the Eastern Cape Wild Coast of South Africa.
- 6th August » Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- 8th August » The Warsaw radio mast, at one time the tallest construction ever built, collapses.
- 19th August » Crown Heights riot: Black groups target Hasidic Judaism Hasidic Jews on the streets of Crown Heights, Brooklyn Crown Heights in New York City New York, New York for three days, after two black children were hit by a car driven by a Hasidic man.
- 20th August » Estonia, annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, issues a decision on the re-establishment of independence on the basis of historical continuity of its pre-World War II statehood.
- 21st August » Latvia declares renewal of its full independence after the occupation of Soviet Union.
- 23rd August » Tim Berners-Lee opens the WWW, World Wide Web to new users.
- 24th August » Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as head of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
- 24th August » Ukraine Declaration of Independence of Ukraine e.g declares itself independent from the Soviet Union.
- 25th August » Belarus gains its independence from the Soviet Union
- 25th August » Linus Torvalds announces the first version of what will become Linux.
- 27th August » The European Community recognizes the independence of the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- 27th August » Moldova declares independence from the Soviet Union e.g USSR.
- 29th August » Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union suspends all activities of the Soviet Communist Party.
- 29th August » Libero Grassi, an Italian businessman from Palermo is killed by the Mafia after taking a solitary stand against their extortion demands.
- 31st August » Kyrgyzstan declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1st September » Uzbekistan declares independence from the Soviet Union.
- 5th September » The current international treaty defending indigenous peoples, Indigenous and Tribal Peoples Convention, 1989, comes into force.
- 6th September » The Soviet Union recognizes the independence of the Baltic states: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- 8th September » The Republic of Macedonia becomes independent.
- 9th September » Tajikistan declares independence from the Soviet Union.
- 17th September » Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, the Marshall Islands and Federated States of Micronesia e.g Micronesia join the United Nations.
- 17th September » The first version of the Linux kernel (0.01) is released to the Internet.
- 18th September » Yugoslavia begins a naval blockade of seven Adriatic port cities.
- 19th September » Ötzi the Iceman is discovered by German tourists.
- 21st September » Armenia is granted independence from Soviet Union.
- 22nd September » The Dead Sea Scrolls are made available to the public for the first time by the Huntington Library.
- 1st October » The Siege of Dubrovnik begins.
- 4th October » The Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty is opened for signature.
- 5th October » An Indonesian military transport crashes after takeoff from Jakarta killing 137.
- 5th October » The first official version of the Linux kernel, version 0.02, is released.
- 7th October » Croatian War of Independence: Bombing of Banski dvori in Zagreb kills 1 civilian.
- 8th October » Croatia votes to sever constitutional relations with Yugoslavia, rendering the country fully independent.
- 9th October » Ecuador becomes a member of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works or Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 18th October » The Supreme Council of Azerbaijan adopts a declaration of independence from the Soviet Union.
- 20th October » The Oakland Hills firestorm kills 25 and destroys 3,469 homes and apartments, causing more than $2 billion in damage.
- 20th October » A 6.8 Moment magnitude scale or Mw earthquake 1991 Uttarkashi earthquake or strikes the Uttarkashi region of India, killing more than 1,000 people.
- 27th October » Turkmenistan achieves independence from the Soviet Union.
- 29th October » The American Galileo spacecraft makes its closest approach to 951 Gaspra, becoming the first probe to visit an asteroid.
- 30th October » The Madrid Conference of 1991 named Madrid Conference for Middle East peace talks opens.
- 6th November » The last Kuwaiti oil fires named Kuwaiti oil field fire is extinguished.
- 7th November » Magic Johnson announces that he is infected with HIV and retires from the National Basketball Association known as NBA.
- 12th November » Dili Massacre: Indonesian forces open fire on a crowd of student protesters in Dili, East Timor.
- 14th November » American and British authorities announce indictments against two Libyan Intelligence assessment or intelligence officials in connection with the downing of the Pan Am Flight 103.
- 14th November » Cambodian Prince Norodom Sihanouk returns to Phnom Penh after thirteen years of exile.
- 14th November » In Royal Oak, Michigan, a Termination of employment or fired United States Postal Service employee goes on a going postal e.g shooting rampage, killing four and wounding five before committing suicide.
- 18th November » Shiite Muslim kidnappers in Lebanon release Anglican Communion or Anglican Church envoys Terry Waite and Thomas Sutherland (academic) called Thomas Sutherland.
- 20th November » An Azerbaijani Mil Mi-8 MI-8 helicopter carrying 19 peacekeeping mission team with officials and journalists from Russia, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan is 1991 Azerbaijani Mil Mi-8 shootdown shot down by Armenian military forces in Khojavend Rayon Khojavend d
- 26th November » National Assembly of Azerbaijan abolishes Law on Abolishment of Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast known as the autonomous status of Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast of Azerbaijan and renames several cities back to their original names.
- 27th November » The United Nations Security Council adopts United Nations Security Council Resolution 721 named Security Council Resolution 721, leading the way to the establishment of peacekeeping operations in Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia e.g Yugoslavia.
- 28th November » South Ossetia declares independence from Georgia (country) called Georgia.
- 1st December » Cold War: Ukraine called Ukrainian voters overwhelmingly approve a Ukrainian independence referendum, 1991 named referendum for independence from the Soviet Union.
- 2nd December » Canada and Poland become the first nations on earth to recognize the independence of Ukraine from the Soviet Union.
- 4th December » Journalist Terry A. Anderson is released after seven years in captivity as a hostage in Beirut. He is the last and longest-held American hostage in Lebanon.
- 4th December » Captain Mark Pyle pilots 'Clipper Goodwill', a Pan American World Airways Boeing 727-221ADV, to Miami International Airport, ending 64 years of Pan Am operations.
- 8th December » The leaders of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine sign an agreement dissolving the Soviet Union and establishing the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- 8th December » The Romanian Constitution is adopted in a referendum.
- 12th December » The Russia known as Russian Federation gains independence from the Soviet Union called USSR.
- 20th December » A Missouri court sentences the Palestinian militant Zein Isa and his wife Maria to capital punishment e.g death for the Honor killing in the United States e.g honor killing of their daughter Palestina.
- 20th December » Paul Keating sworn in as the 24th Prime Minister of Australia after defeating Bob Hawke in a leadership ballot of the Australian Labor Party.
- 22nd December » Armed opposition groups launch a military coup against President of Georgia Zviad Gamsakhurdia.
- 26th December » The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union meets and formally dissolves the Soviet Union.
- 31st December » All official Soviet Union institutions have ceased operations by this date and the Soviet Union is officially dissolved.
Historical events for the year 1991 by month