What Happened In History Year 2006
Historical Events for the Year 2006
- 2nd January » An Sago Mine disaster or explosion in a coal mine in Sago, West Virginia traps and kills 12 miners, while leaving one miner in critical condition.
- 4th January » Prime Minister of Israel named Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel suffers a second, apparently more serious stroke. His authority is transferred to acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
- 12th January » Incidents during the Hajj e.g A stampede during the Stoning of the Devil ritual on the last day at the Hajj in Mina, Saudi Arabia, kills at least 362 Muslim pilgrims.
- 12th January » The French warship French aircraft carrier Clemenceau (R98) e.g Clemenceau reaches Egypt and is barred access to the Suez Canal. Greenpeace activists board the ship.
- 19th January » The New Horizons probe is launched by NASA on the first mission to Pluto.
- 20th January » Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale River Thames whale named swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the River Thames or Thames since records began in 1913.
- 25th January » Three independent observing campaigns announce the discovery of OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb through gravitational microlensing, the first cool rocky/icy extrasolar planet around a main-sequence star.
- 25th January » Mexico Mexican lucha libre professional wrestler Juana Barraza is arrested in connection with the serial killer serial killing of at least 10 elderly women.
- 27th January » Western Union discontinues its Telegraphy called Telegram and Commercial Messaging services.
- 28th January » The roof of one of the buildings at the Katowice International Fair in Chorzów/Katowice, Poland, Katowice Trade Hall roof collapse e.g collapses due to the weight of snow, killing 65 and injuring more than 170 others.
- 4th February » A PhilSports Arena stampede e.g stampede occurs in the PhilSports Arena called ULTRA Stadium near Manila killing 71.
- 16th February » The last Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) is decommissioned by the United States Army.
- 17th February » A 2006 Southern Leyte mudslide known as massive mudslide occurs in Southern Leyte, Philippines; the official death toll is set at 1,126.
- 19th February » A methane explosion in a coal mine near Nueva Rosita, Mexico, Pasta de Conchos mine disaster called kills 65 miners.
- 20th February » In South Korea the United Liberal Democrats, Political parties in South Korea known as the three top political parties was merged into Saenuri Party named Grand National Party.
- 24th February » President of the Philippines or Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declares Proclamation 1017 placing the country in a 2006 state of emergency in the Philippines e.g state of emergency in attempt to subdue a possible military coup.
- 1st March » English language called English-language Wikipedia reaches its one millionth article, Jordanhill railway station.
- 7th March » The terrorist organisation Lashkar-e-Taiba coordinates a 2006 Varanasi bombings named series of bombings in Varanasi, India.
- 10th March » The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter arrives at Mars.
- 11th March » Michelle Bachelet is inaugurated as first female president of Chile.
- 20th March » Over 150 Chadian military Chadian soldiers are killed in eastern Chad by members of the rebel United Front for Democratic Change UFDC. The rebel movement sought to overthrow Heads of state of Chad Chadian president Idriss Deby.
- 22nd March » Three Christian Peacemaker Team hostages are freed by British forces in Baghdad after 118 days of captivity and the murder of their colleague, American Tom Fox (activist) named Tom Fox.
- 25th March » Protesters demanding a new election in Belarus, following the rigged Belarusian presidential election, 2006, clash with riot police. Opposition leader Aleksander Kozulin is among several protesters arrested.
- 30th March » The United Kingdom Terrorism Act 2006 becomes a law.
- 1st April » The Serious Organised Crime Agency, dubbed the "British FBI", is created in the United Kingdom.
- 2nd April » Over 60 tornadoes April 2, 2006 Central United States tornado outbreak called break out in the United States; hardest hit is in Tennessee with 29 people killed.
- 8th April » Shedden massacre: The bodies of eight men, all shot to death, are found in a field in Ontario, Canada. The murders are soon linked to the Bandidos motorcycle gang.
- 11th April » Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announces that Iran has successfully enriched uranium.
- 17th April » Sami Hammad, a Palestinian people known as Palestinian suicide bomber, detonates an explosive device in Tel Aviv, killing 11 people and injuring 70.
- 27th April » Construction begins on the One World Trade Center known as Freedom Tower for the new World Trade Center in New York City.
- 1st May » The Puerto Rico e.g Puerto Rican government closes the Department of Education and 42 other government agencies due to significant shortages in cash flow.
- 5th May » The government of Sudan signs an accord with the Sudan Liberation Army.
- 12th May » May 2006 São Paulo violence called Mass unrest by the Primeiro Comando da Capital begins in São Paulo (Brazil), leaving at least 150 dead.
- 12th May » Iranian Azeris interpret a cartoon published in an Iranian magazine as insulting, Iran newspaper cockroach cartoon controversy called resulting in massive riots throughout the country.
- 13th May » 2006 São Paulo violence: a major rebellion occurs in several prisons in Brazil.
- 17th May » The aircraft carrier USS Oriskany CV-34 6 is sunk in the Gulf of Mexico as an artificial reef.
- 18th May » The post 2006 democracy movement in Nepal named Loktantra Andolan government passes a landmark bill curtailing the power of the Kingdom of Nepal e.g monarchy and making Nepal a secular country.
- 20th May » 2006 Dhaka strikes called Dhaka wildcat strikes: A series of massive strikes begin, involving nearly 1.8 million garment workers in Bangladesh.
- 21st May » The Republic of Montenegro holds a Montenegrin independence referendum, 2006 named referendum proposing independence from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. The Montenegrin people choose independence with a majority of 55%.
- 23rd May » Alaskan stratovolcano Mount Cleveland (Alaska) or Mount Cleveland erupts.
- 27th May » The May 2006 Java earthquake strikes devastating Bantul and the city of Yogyakarta (city) e.g Yogyakarta killing over 6,600 people.
- 5th June » Serbia declares independence from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro.
- 18th June » The first Kazakhstan named Kazakh space satellite, KazSat is launched.
- 26th June » Mari Alkatiri, the first Prime Minister of East Timor, resigns after weeks of political unrest.
- 1st July » The first operation of Qinghai–Tibet Railway in China.
- 5th July » North Korea North Korean missile test, 2006 called tests four short-range missiles, one medium-range missile and a long-range Taepodong-2. The long-range Taepodong-2 reportedly failed in mid-air over the Sea of Japan.
- 6th July » The Nathula or Nathula Pass between India and China, sealed during the Sino-Indian War, re-openes for trade after 44 years.
- 11th July » 2006 Mumbai train bombings known as Mumbai train bombings: Two hundred nine people are killed in a series of bomb attacks in Mumbai, India.
- 12th July » Hezbollah initiates 2006 Lebanon War called Operation True Promise.
- 15th July » Twitter is launched, becoming one of the largest social media platforms in the world.
- 27th July » The Germany Federal Republic of Germany is deemed guilty in the loss of Überlingen mid-air collision Bashkirian 2937 and Überlingen mid-air collision DHL Flight 611, because it is illegal to outsource flight surveillance.
- 31st July » Fidel Castro hands over power to brother Raúl Castro.
- 4th August » A 2006 Trincomalee massacre of NGO workers named massacre is carried out by Sri Lankan government forces, killing 17 employees of the French International nongovernmental organization named INGO Action Against Hunger (known internationally as Action Contr
- 9th August » At least 21 suspected terrorists were arrested in the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot that happened in the United Kingdom. The arrests were made in London, Birmingham, and High Wycombe in an overnight operation.
- 14th August » Chencholai bombing: Sixty-one Tamil girls are killed in Sri Lankan Air force bombing.
- 22nd August » Pulkovo Aviation Enterprise Flight 612 crashes near the Russian border over eastern Ukraine, killing all 170 people on board.
- 23rd August » Natascha Kampusch, who had been abducted at the age of ten, escapes from her captor Wolfgang Priklopil, after eight years of captivity.
- 24th August » The International Astronomical Union (IAU) 2006 definition of planet e.g redefines the term "planet" such that Pluto is now considered a dwarf planet.
- 27th August » Comair Flight 5191 crashes on takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky bound for Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport in Atlanta. Of the passengers and crew, 49 of 50 are confirmed dead in the hours following the crash.
- 13th September » Kimveer Gill kills one student and injures 19 more in the Dawson College shooting.
- 17th September » Fourpeaked Mountain in Alaska erupts, marking the first eruption for the long-dormant volcano in at least 10,000 years.
- 28th September » Suvarnabhumi Airport opens in Bang Phli District known as Amphoe Bang Phli, Samut Prakan Province from Don Mueang International Airport after the older airport ceased international commercial flights.
- 29th September » Gol Transportes Aéreos Flight 1907 collides in mid-air with an Embraer Legacy business jet near Peixoto de Azevedo, Mato Grosso, Brazil, killing 154 total people, and triggering a 2006–2007 Brazilian aviation crisis called Brazilian aviation crisis.
- 2nd October » Five school girls are murdered by Charles Carl Roberts in a Amish school shooting called shooting at an Amish school in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania before Roberts commits suicide.
- 9th October » North Korea allegedly tests 2006 North Korean nuclear test called its first nuclear device.
- 14th October » The FIU–Miami football brawl or college football brawl between University of Miami and Florida International University leads to suspensions of 31 players of both teams.
- 16th October » 2006 Hawaii earthquake e.g Hawaii earthquake: A magnitude 6.7 earthquake rocks Hawaii, causing property damage, injuries, landslides, power outages, and the closure of Honolulu International Airport.
- 22nd October » A Panama Canal expansion proposal is approved by 77.8% of voters in a Panama Canal expansion referendum, 2006 known as National referendum held in Panama.
- 28th October » The funeral service takes place for those executed at Bykivnia forest, outside Kiev, Ukraine. 817 Ukrainian civilians (out of some 100,000) executed by Bolsheviks at Bykivnia in 1930s – early 1940s are reburied.
- 28th October » A group of ferocious activists of Bangladesh Awami League attacked one of their rival political party meeting in Dhaka with oars and sculls and killed their 14 activists.
- 10th November » Sri Lankan Tamil Parliamentarian Nadarajah Raviraj is assassinated in Colombo.
- 10th November » The National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, Virginia is opened and dedicated by U.S. President George W. Bush, who announces that Marine Corporal Jason Dunham will receive the Medal of Honor.
- 11th November » Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II unveils the New Zealand War Memorial, London known as New Zealand War Memorial in London, United Kingdom, commemorating the loss of soldiers from the New Zealand Army and the British Army.
- 15th November » Al Jazeera English launches worldwide.
- 21st November » Anti-Syrian Lebanese Minister and MP Pierre Amine Gemayel called Pierre Gemayel is assassinated in suburban Beirut.
- 23rd November » A 23 November 2006 Sadr City bombings or series of bombings kills at least 215 people and injures 257 others in Sadr City, making it the second deadliest sectarian attack since the beginning of the Iraq War in 2003.
- 27th November » The House of Commons of Canada Canadian House of Commons approves a motion tabled by Canadian Prime Minister Prime Minister Stephen Harper recognizing Québécois nation motion the Québécois as a nation within Canada.
- 4th December » Jena Six called Six black youths assault a white teenager in Jena, Louisiana.
- 5th December » Commodore Frank Bainimarama overthrows the government in Fiji.
- 6th December » NASA reveals photographs taken by Mars Global Surveyor suggesting the presence of liquid water on Mars.
- 7th December » A 2006 London tornado called tornado strikes Kensal Green, North West London, seriously damaging about 150 properties.
- 11th December » The International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust is opened in Tehran, Iran, by then-president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad; nations such as Israel and the United States express concern.
- 11th December » Felipe Calderón, the President of Mexico, launches a Operation Michoacán or military-led offensive to put down the drug cartel violence in the state of Michoacán. This effort is often regarded as the first event in the Mexican Drug War.
- 15th December » First flight of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II.
- 18th December » The first of a 2006–2007 Malaysian floods named series of floods strikes Malaysia. The death toll of all flooding is at least 118, with over 400,000 people displaced.
- 18th December » United Arab Emirates holds its United Arab Emirates parliamentary election, 2006 named first-ever elections.
- 26th December » An Pipeline transport For oil or natural gas named oil pipeline in Lagos, Nigeria 2006 Abule Egba pipeline explosion known as explodes, killing at least 260.
- 29th December » UK settles its Anglo-American loan, post-WWII loan debt.
- 30th December » Madrid–Barajas Airport is 2006 Madrid-Barajas Airport bombing called bombed.
- 30th December » The Indonesian passenger ferry MV e.g Senopati Nusantara sinks in a storm, resulting in at least 400 deaths.
- 30th December » Former President of Iraq Saddam Hussein Execution of Saddam Hussein named is executed.
Historical events for the year 2006 by month