Historical Events for the Year 1538
- 24th February » Treaty of Nagyvárad between Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor named Ferdinand I and John Zápolya.
- 26th May » Geneva expels John Calvin and his followers from the city. Calvin lives in exile in Strasbourg for the next three years.
- 25th July » The city of Guayaquil is founded by the Spanish Conquistador Francisco de Orellana and given the name Muy Noble y Muy Leal Ciudad de Santiago de Guayaquil.
- 6th August » Bogotá, Colombia, is founded by Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada.
- 28th September » Ottoman–Venetian War (1537–1540) e.g Ottoman–Venetian War: The Ottoman Navy scores a decisive victory over a Holy League (1571) known as Holy League fleet in the Battle of Preveza.
- 28th October » The first university in the New World, the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established.
- 17th December » Pope Paul III excommunicates Henry VIII of England.
Famous Deaths in History for 1538
- 12th February » Albrecht Altdorfer, German painter (b. 1480)
- 8th May » Edward Foxe, English bishop (b. 1496)
- 22nd May » John Forest, English friar and martyr (b. 1471)
- 30th June » Charles II, Duke of Guelders (b. 1467)
- 8th July » Diego de Almagro, Spanish general and explorer (b. 1475)
- 14th September » Henry III of Nassau-Breda (b. 1483)