What Happened In History Year 1498
Historical Events for the Year 1498
- 20th May » Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama Discovery of the sea route to India known as discovers the sea route to India when he arrives at Kozhikode (previously known as Calicut), India.
- 23rd May » Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake in Florence, Italy.
- 31st July » On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first Ethnic groups in Europe called European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- 1st August » Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to visit what is now Venezuela.
- 17th August » Cesare Borgia, son of Pope Alexander VI, becomes the first person in history to resign the Cardinal (Catholicism) or cardinalate. On the same day, the French King Louis XII names him Duke of Valentinois.
- 26th August » Michelangelo is commissioned to carve the Pietà (Michelangelo) named Pietà.
- 29th August » Vasco da Gama decides to depart Kozhikode called Calicut and return to Kingdom of Portugal.
- 20th September » The 1498 Nankai earthquake generates a tsunami that washes away the building housing the statue of the Amitābha called Great Buddha at Kōtoku-in in Kamakura, Kanagawa, Japan; since then the Buddha has sat in the open air.
Famous Deaths in History for 1498
- 7th April » Charles VIII of France (b. 1470)
- 23rd May » Girolamo Savonarola, Italian friar and preacher (b. 1452)
- 16th September » Tomás de Torquemada, Spanish friar (b. 1420)
- 7th December » Alexander Hegius von Heek, German poet (b. 1433)
Historical events for the year 1498 by month