What Happened In History Year 1499
Historical Events for the Year 1499
- 8th January » Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 18th May » Alonso de Ojeda sets sail from Cádiz on his voyage to what is now Venezuela.
- 19th May » Catherine of Aragon is Proxy marriage or married by proxy to Arthur, Prince of Wales. Catherine is 13 and Arthur is 12.
- 10th July » The Portuguese explorer Nicolau Coelho returns to Lisbon, after discovering the sea route to India as a companion of Vasco da Gama.
- 22nd July » Battle of Dornach: The Old Swiss Confederacy named Swiss decisively defeat the Holy Roman Empire called Imperial army of Emperor Maximilian I.
- 12th August » First engagement of the Battle of Zonchio between Republic of Venice e.g Venetian and Ottoman Turks called Ottoman fleets.
- 22nd September » Treaty of Basel (1499) e.g Treaty of Basel
- 5th November » Publication of the 'Catholicon (trilingual dictionary) Catholicon' in Tréguier (Brittany). This Breton-French-Latin dictionary was written in 1464 by Jehan Lagadeuc. It is the first Breton language Breton dictionary as well as the first French language Fr
- 23rd November » Pretender to the throne Perkin Warbeck is hanged for reportedly attempting to escape from the Tower of London. He had invaded England in 1497, claiming to be the lost son of King Edward IV of England.
Famous Deaths in History for 1499
- 9th January » John Cicero, Elector of Brandenburg (b. 1455)
- 1st October » Marsilio Ficino, Italian astrologer and philosopher (b. 1433)
- 23rd November » Perkin Warbeck, Flemish royal imposter (b. 1474)
Historical events for the year 1499 by month