What Happened In History Year 1513
Historical Events for the Year 1513
- 27th March » Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León reaches the northern end of The Bahamas on his first voyage to Florida.
- 2nd April » Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León first sights land in what is now Florida.
- 30th April » Edmund de la Pole, 3rd Duke of Suffolk named Edmund de la Pole, Yorkist pretender to the English throne, is executed on the orders of Henry VIII of England known as Henry VIII.
- 6th June » Italian Wars: Battle of Novara (1513) or Battle of Novara. Switzerland known as Swiss troops defeat the French under Louis de la Tremoille, forcing the French to abandon Milan. Duke Massimiliano Sforza is restored.
- 16th August » Battle of Guinegate (1513) called Battle of Guinegate (Battle of the Spurs): King Henry VIII of England and his Holy Roman Empire named Imperial allies defeat French Forces who are then forced to retreat.
- 25th September » Spanish explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa reaches what would become known as the Pacific Ocean.
- 7th October » Battle of La Motta: Spain or Spanish troops under Ramón de Cardona defeat the Republic of Venice named Venetians.
Famous Birthdays in 1513
- 24th September » Catherine of Saxe-Lauenburg (d. 1535)
- 30th October » Jacques Amyot, French bishop (d. 1593)
- 23rd December » Thomas Smith (diplomat) named Thomas Smith, English diplomat and scholar (d. 1577)
Famous Deaths in History for 1513
- 21st February » Pope Julius II (b. 1443)
- 10th March » John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford, English commander and politician, Lord High Constable of England (b. 1443)
- 30th April » Edmund de la Pole, 3rd Duke of Suffolk, English son of Elizabeth of York, Duchess of Suffolk (b. 1472)
- 9th September » victims of the Battle of Flodden
Historical events for the year 1513 by month