What Happened In History Year 1541
Historical Events for the Year 1541
- 15th January » King Francis I of France gives Jean-François Roberval a commission to settle the province of New France (Canada) and provide for the spread of the "Holy Catholic faith".
- 12th February » Santiago, Chile is founded by Pedro de Valdivia.
- 7th April » Francis Xavier leaves Lisbon on a mission to the Portugal named Portuguese East Indies.
- 8th May » Hernando de Soto reaches the Mississippi River and names it 'Río de Espíritu Santo'.
- 26th June » Francisco Pizarro is assassination called assassinated in Lima by the son of his former companion and later antagonist, Diego Almagro the younger. Almagro is later caught and executed.
- 23rd August » French explorer Jacques Cartier lands near Quebec City in his third voyage to Canada.
- 29th August » The Ottoman Turks capture Buda, the capital of the Hungarian Kingdom.
- 11th September » Santiago, Chile, is destroyed by indigenous warriors, led by Michimalonco.
- 13th September » After three years of exile, John Calvin returns to Geneva to reform the church under a body of doctrine known as Calvinism.
- 30th September » Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto and his forces enter Tula people named Tula territory in present-day western Arkansas, encountering fierce resistance.
- 10th December » Thomas Culpeper and Francis Dereham are executed for having affairs with Catherine Howard, Queen of England and wife of Henry VIII of England e.g Henry VIII.
Famous Birthdays in 1541
- 26th January » Florent Chrestien, French poet (d. 1596)
- 8th April » Michele Mercati, Italian physician (d. 1593)
Famous Deaths in History for 1541
- 27th May » Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury (b. 1473)
- 26th June » Francisco Pizarro, Spanish explorer and politician (b. 1471)
- 4th July » Pedro de Alvarado, Spanish general and explorer (b. 1495)
- 1st August » Simon Grynaeus, German theologian and scholar (b. 1493)
- 24th September » Paracelsus, German-Swiss physician, botanist, and chemist (b. 1493)
- 18th October » Margaret Tudor, English wife of James IV of Scotland (b. 1489)
- 10th December » Thomas Culpeper, English courtier (b. 1514)
- 10th December » Francis Dereham, English courtier
Historical events for the year 1541 by month